Help!!! important question about the HOLOCAUST!!!!!!!!!?

i have to write a holocaust report about americas response or america, during the hollocaust...its due tuesday and im sooooo stressed out its insane...i havent written a thing and whenever i try i get lazy...do u no of any websites that will help me? but really really help me, im talking about almost doing the report for me...thanks!!

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

To Lejeune42:

Didn't you say to Elaine Smith just yesterday that:

"May I suggest that you do your own homework, Youare inschool to learn. That is the goal of what you are asked to research is actually to teach you research skills, If you have others do it for you, you cheat yourself of what you could learn by doing, that is acquiring research skills and experience, The subject of research is simply to have you learn by doing research . if you forego that, you are eventually later as an adult on a job shortchanging youself since you never learned. Sorry for beig not more positive. Please do your own homework. In the long run it pays off. It did for me. i am now a multim illionaire because i did my own homework."?

Oops, you've been caught. How did you do your homework while surviving not going school and while running around Europe to avoid the Nazis? Ah, well, you're a multi-millionaire - I guess that entitles you to multiple personalities? Too bad they didn't require you to learn grammar, spelling and writing skills in at Bragg. That deficiency does help us distinguish your bull from your cuts and pastes, though.

To bobby:

First, define Holocaust. Most everyone forgets that the Nazi genocide campaigns were not limited to the Jews and the Jews comprise, at best, only 1/3 of the people who died in the camps. Of the estimated 18 million camp deaths, at least 12 million of the victims were not Jewish. The Jews did comprise about 70 to 80% of the Death Camp deaths, except at Jasenovac where they only amounted to just over 15%. Of the Jews interred and/or sent to the concentration camps, or even the death camps for that matter, many would have suffered the same fate for other reasons even had they not been Jewish (the difference being they'd have worn a triangle instead of a star).

If you limit the Holocaust to the Jews, are you speaking of "The Final Solution and Operation 14f13 only, or do you include the concentration camps? If the former, the program didn't start until late 1941 and Himmler order it terminated in early '43. Of the 6 million or so Jews who died at the hands of the Nazis, fewer than half were murdered in the extermination camps. In doing your paper, be sure you differentiate between the extermination camps (of which there were only 7, including Jasenovac which was built for Serbs, not Jews) and concentration camps (of which there were hundreds). The concentration camps were NOT built with the Final Solution in mind. Dachau, the first concentration camp, opened in March, 1933. Chelmno, the first death camp, wasn't opened until November 1941 and commenced operations on December 8 of that year. Most references of the Holocaust list the death camps as Auschwitz II (Birkenau), Belzec, Chelmno, Majdanek, Sobibor, and Treblinka. As you can tell by the absence of Jasenovac (the third most prolific in 'production" and the first Himmler directed to cease operations because of the massive volume of business it was doing), the Holocaust propaganda would apparently have us forget the majority of Nazi victims. Nazi 'racial purification' was NOT an exclusively Jewish issue and trying to make it seem so is not only a lie and a gross distortion of history, but it is outright dangerous.

Had the Red Army not repelled Barbarossa, won at Stalingrad and then won the war in Europe, with only nominal help from the US, the UK, France, the Free Poles, Canada, Australia, the Dutch and the rest of the allies, no fewer than 10 to 30 million more non-Jewish Russians, Slavs, Poles, Romas, Serbs and others that had been targeted for extinction would have found their way into the ovens and pits. That number is probably way low, but I'll go with the low-end, ultra-conservative estimates.

The Allies never concerned themselves with the Jews. The renege on the Balfour Declaration, the Evian conference and the St. Louis affair gave Himmler, Heydrich, Eichmann and Goering the nerve to implement their plans. Those, and similar events, convinced the Nazis that the world would look the other way (and likely applaud secretly) if and when they began the Final Solution. Long before the Death Camps were opened, the Einsatzgruppen were doing their thing wherever the Wehrmacht conquered, and long before the Einsatzgruppen were formed, the concentration camps were filled to overflowing with the 'undesirables' of the Reich.

The US could hardly complain. The world's first concentration camps were built (for the Cherokee) in Tennessee and Alabama in 1838, although the name wasn't coined until the British came up with it for the Boer camps 1899 in South Africa. One of history's most effective campaigns of genocide also occurred in the good old US of A as well: remember the American Indians? The Nazis did. They modeled their concentration camps in part on the US and British examples and had they not been able to come up with the idea of extermination on their own, the US example would have given it to them. They were more humane than the Bureau of Indian Affairs. A bullet to the base of the skull or a whiff of Zyklon B is far more merciful than killing slowly with rancid meat and measles and smallpox infested blankets, wouldn't you agree?

The Nazis also studied places like Elmira, New York, where a camp built to hold no more than 5,000 was filled with over 10,000 Confederate POWs, who ate dogs and smallpox ridden rats to survive and where the guards sold tickets to the local citizenry to watch the fun. Moving ahead, leave us not forget the concentration camps into which FDR ordered the Japanese-Americans in WWII. Where conditions there the same as in Germany? No. German Concentration camp victims were treated more like the slaves of the Old South than like the interned Japanese. I suppose severity of treatment does fit into the analysis to some extent, although I'm not sure it should.

The death camps were set up by the SS near the largest concentrations of Jews (again, with the exception of Jasenovac), necessarily placing them in occupied Poland. The concentration camps, as opposed to the extermination camps, on the other hand, dotted the entire Reich and remained in service until the end of the war. Most of them were liberated by the Red Army. Most were located in Germany and occupied Poland and East of the Oder. Since the Red Army was involved in the war for a few years more than the US, and fielded millions more troops and suffered exponentially more KIAs (10 MILLION Red Army deaths on the Eastern front vs 300,000 US in Europe and the Pacific combined) it is axiomatic that the US response to anything was minimal in the general scheme of things.

The Nazis stopped the Final Solution of their own accord long before any US troops were in a position to anything about the death camps even if they wanted to. Himmler realized the Nazis were wasting a valuable source of slave labor and German efficiency overrode Nazi ideals of 'racial purification'. Operation 14f13 was terminated by Himmler in 1943, less than a year and a half after it began. The first US ground forces were deployed during Operation Torch, in Africa, in November 1942 just a few months before Himmler issued the termination order. The tide was already turning at Stalingrad by then. (And George H. Bush's grandfather, Prescott Bush, was still the main money man for the Nazis in the US at that time).

The first American troops landed in Europe (Sicily, Operation Husky) in July, 1943. Himmler had ended Op 14f13 months before, Stalingrad was over, Paulus had surrendered the Sixth Army, the Soviets were winning at Kursk and getting ready to win at Smolensk II. Hitler's Panzers and Tigers were proving again and again to be no match for the Soviet T-34s and the Wehrmacht was being beaten steadily back to the Oder. By the time Overlord was launched in June, 1944, the Soviets had won at Leningrad and Korsun, had pushed what was left of Army Group North back to the Vistula, and were in the process of annihilating Army Group Center in the Belorussian Offensive. While the fiasco of Operation Market Garden was failing in the West, The Red Arny was engaged in the Lvov-Sandomierz Offensive and destroying Army Group South, removing the Germans from the Ukraine and Eastern Poland. By the time the US and company crossed the Rhine into Germany for the first time, in March, 1945, the Red Army had been in Germany for months, was less than 100 miles from Berlin, had taken Vienna and was gearing up for the final assault on Berlin. Thus, by the time the first US troops set foot in Germany, the Soviets had liberated almost all of the camps.

The US did nothing to stop the Nazis for a few simple basic reasons:

One - the US was (falsely) claiming neutrality throughout the '30s, 1940 and most of '41.

Two - the US had no decent troops with which to engage in a war, the only means by which the Nazis were going to be stopped. The draft was extended by a single vote in the summer of '41.

Three - The US lacked the arms to fight a war. Japanese, Soviet, German and British aircraft, tanks and artillery were far superior to anything in the US arsenal.

Four - The combined forces of the Western allies were incapable of taking on the Wehrmacht in Europe. As Churchill told FDR, the only force on the planet that had a chance of beating Wehrmacht on the Continent was the Red Army. That is why the Allies landed in Africa in '42. Stalin was not pleased. He insisted a second European front be opened but Churchill, FDR and their best military minds from Ike and Montgomery on down projected failure if that was attempted in '42.

Five: The "Final Solution" didn't even begin until after the war was long underway.

Six: Nobody really cared what was happening to the Jews or the other victims. The "Holocaust" didn't become vogue until well after the war, and by the use of the disgraceful and tasteless propaganda which seemingly tries to limit the Nazi atrocities to mainly Jewish victims, it was used as a tool to accelerate the creation of a Jewish Homeland in the Middle East. (To say the US or the rest of the Allies knew nothing of what was happening may have been a viable cop-out until Jan Karski brought his firsthand accounts and pictures from the Warsaw Ghetto and Belzec in the summer of '42 - after that, all pretence of plausible deniability was gone.)

The goal of the war was to stop the Nazis. Their victims Jews and non-Jews alike, were a beneficiary of that objective, but they were never an objective in and of themselves.

Now, feel free to use this for your homework. Just hope that it is true and accurate and that I didn't slip in some bogus information to help you flunk (it is and I didn't, but you can't be sure of that can you, especially considering what Lejeune42 has to say?). You may also have to do the background reading to support it. I'm only helping with your homework because the issues are too important to be ignored.

• 1 decade ago

i am a Holocaust Survivor . That is I was a teenager then and survived not going to school, hiding as Lejeune in SE Belgium and moving ech 6 month soas not toarouse suspicion from neighbors. We moved in the rural areas of the "Battle of the Bul;ge "area. Before that I escape from germany , but the people whjo reared me were murdered in the Holocaust as I would have been to. I have been a US citizen 55 years . I became a citizen while in the 82nd Airborne at Fort Bragg. I manage now in retirement the yahoo! worldwide informative gtroup to promote tolerance and human rights in memory of the Holocaust victims. See Remember_The_Holocaust in yahoo! groups I use my " war name"now as my screen name lejeune42, 42 stands when i went into the underground. Good luck but pleasedo not plagiarize since your teacher will know. Simply sttate your source and acknowledge them.

The Response of the United States

One of the questions that we frequently hear is about how the United States reacted to the Holocaust. Our answer is not a happy one. During World War II the United States took virtually no action to impede the Holocaust or rescue the victims from the concentration camps even though both Great Britain and the United States knew about that genocide. Such proposals as bombing the rail system that brought victims to Auschwitz was rejected. The United States even refused to admit the few Jews who were able to escape Europe. One historian has labeled the failure of the United States to aid the Jews of Europe as the greatest single failure of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

There are many reasons why no attempt was made to aid the Jews of Europe. Part of the reason is anti-Semitism in the United States. Anti-semitism was much more prevalent than it is today. Congressman such as Senator Bilbo of Mississippi and bureaucrats such as Breckinridge Long who was in charge of refugees at the U.S. Department of State, did not help because they did not want to help. This anti-Semitism also impeded Jewish groups who were afraid of provoking their enemies if they protested too much.

Those who defend the failures of the United States think that there was little that really could be done. They point out that the real genocide did not begin until the United States was at war with Germany. Under those circumstances, they think that the best way to halt the Holocaust was to defeat Nazi Germany as quickly as possible.

Where to Start Your Research

There are many books that you can consult to find more information. Three books on the failure of the Allies to react to the Holocaust are:

Martin Gilbert, Auschwitz and the Allies, Holt, Reinhart and Winston, New York (1981)

Arthur Morse, While Six Million Died

David Wyman, The Abandonment of the Jews, Pantheon, New York (1984)

A defense of the actions of the Allies can be found in:

Lucy Dawidowicz, What is the Use of Jewish History?

A balanced view of the arguments which also includes decriptions of other sources can be found in:

Michael Marrus, The Holocaust in History

Finally, a description of how the survivors of the Holcaust were treated by the United States after the war can be found in:

Leonard Dinnerstein, America and the Survivors of the Holocaust, University of Columbia Press (1982)

• Judith
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Usually Nazis kept the Jew's belongings to them... Also, throughout the war before the final decision; there were many laws made that led to Jews giving up their money to the Nazi's (In Poland Jews weren't allowed to have more than 2000). There has been numerous cases today about Jews losing great valuables during the War stolen by Nazis or just normal people. For example today, many Jews and other people persecuted in the War are now suing some Swiss Banks for taking their money.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Holocaust, one of the greatest disasters in human history occured in Germany following the invasion of Poland in 1939.

The Holocaust, or "The Final Solution" was a plan designed by Hitler to execute all Jews in occupied territory. In his mind all Jews were simply un-human, fit only for slavery and death. "The Final Solution" included the construction of numerous concentration camps all over Europe designed by lead architect Albert Speer. In fact, the first thing most people think about when presented with the word "Holocaust" is the concentration camps. These camps included facilities like gas chambers, crematoriums, firing ranges, and burial pits: all designed specifically to kill. It is estimated that roughly six million people died in these concentration camps, most notably Auschwitz and Dachau.

At first, the German government tried to prevent information on the Holocaust from reaching the rest of the world, however, such a horrifying event could not be contained. When word of these activities reached Britain, the British government quickly passed on the word to the rest of the world. Details of the concentration camps and genocide infuriated the British and American people, converting many to the war effort.

At the outbreak of the Holocaust, jews from all over Germany fled the country. Most were unable to escape, and those who did faced very hard times. Unfortunately, many Jews were not allowed to immigrate and America did not allow the Jews to enter the country. As a result, over six million people lost their lives.

Today, the Holocaust is something to be remembered, but not to be dwelt upon. By educating ourselves in history's blunders, we learn not to repeat that history over again. May the Holocaust always be a reminder of the evils mankind is capable of, but also as a symbol of Humanity's current progression.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

For most questions, one would expect to get a variety of answers based on education and experience in the topic at hand. In this case, however, the vast majority of respondents here have all given a similar opinion. Why would anyone, particularly a qualified historian, want to do a complete report for someone just because they didn't want to do it for themselves? Start things off by a few research techniques: web search, and hitting the books.

• 1 decade ago

bobby001,

Hear my heart.

I do you no service by almost doing a report for you.

Wikipedia and other websites will have info for you.

America knew about the Holocaust...Roosevelt was being briefed. Had aerial pictures of operating death camps.

Did nothing.

Ships with Jews on them were not given sanctuary in the US, but turned back.

That's a starting point.

Back in the day, we worked in libraries to write our papers.

I got a grade based on my own research.

I had an A average.

Work for your excellent grades.

It will help you out immensely later.

: )

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I know that FDR wanted to help Europe but the isolationists wanted to remain neutral until our British allies needed us.

• 1 decade ago

Dude, it's called listening in HISTORY class. Try it sometime and maybe you won't be so stressed. Anyway, just google it. They'll tell you a good site to go to.

• 1 decade ago

Boooooo. You should do your own work, especially with this, because you should be educated about the holocaust.

• 1 decade ago

Your task should be an easy one. There's nothing to write about, it never happened. BUT, it's illegal in 13 countries to state this belief.

• 1 decade ago

america was very supportive by allowing many jewish people to immigrate to america and their armies liberated concentration camps

try these web pages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/holocaust/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.