Naming kids after football players?

Football is my favorite sport of all time. I was in the marching band in HS and i watch my younger brothers play it after i graduated. I sit and watch it when its on, either college or pro.

What do you think of naming a child after an NFL player from your favorite team?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Alexa
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

As long as it's not too obvious that you named him after a football player, it's probably okay.

• 1 decade ago

I'd say no.

I went to school with a kid named Dan Marino. Whenever he gave his name to a substitute teacher they'd tell him he wasn't funny and to knock it off.

Also, what if he ends up going to jail for rape, assault, murder, dogfighting, wife-beating, drug/alcohol abuse, etc... the sort of things that many football players get nailed for... and then your kid is walking around named after them? Imagine if your kid was named O.J., or Michael Vick, or something like that?

• SB
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Erm, not to be nasty.

But I wouldn't.

Do you think the child would want to be recognised as '' the one with the same name as a footballer. ''

But its your choice really, if you like it, you choose a name for your child that is the same as a football player.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Know a kid named Zack Thomas ( former Miami Dolphin) and his brother Marshall Payton (for Marshall Faulk and Walter Payton

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I don't think it is the greatest idea, unless it is a fairly common name and could be associated with someone else as well. I remember watching the news during the OJ Simpson trials and a story on children who had been named after him and the torment they had to go through.

• 1 decade ago

I guess that's OK as long as that player wasn't horrible or his name isn't O.J Simpson

Source(s): me
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Lame!

• 1 decade ago

i personally wouldn't but its your kid

• sure if u want too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.