Ethics for the Patient...funny ?
Involvement with the patient's suffering might cause
him to lose valuable scientific objectivity.
2. Be cheerful at all times.
Your doctor leads a busy and trying life and requires all
the gentleness and reassurance he can get.
3. Try to suffer from the disease for which you are being
Remember that your doctor has a professional reputation
4. Do not complain if the treatment fails to bring relief.
You must believe that your doctor has achieved a deep insight
into the true nature of your illness, which transcends
any mere permanent disability you may have experienced.
5. Never ask your doctor to explain what he is doing or why
he is doing it.
It is presumptuous to assume that such profound matters
could be explained in terms that you would understand.
6. Submit to novel experimental treatment readily.
research paper will surely be of widespread interest.
7. Pay your medical bills promptly and willingly.
You should consider it a privilege to contribute, however
modestly, to the well-being of physicians and other humanitarians.
8. Do not suffer from ailments that you cannot afford.
It is sheer arrogance to contract illnesses that are beyond
9. Never reveal any of the shortcomings that have come to
light in the course of treatment by your doctor.
The patient-doctor relationship is a privileged one,
and you have a sacred duty to protect him from exposure.
10. Never die while in your doctor's presence or under
his direct care.
This will only cause him needless inconvenience and embarrassment.