Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

What does ipconfig /flushdns do?

I want to change my IP address. Will this command take me offline? Will I get a new IP from my ISP right away?

What exactly will happen?

c_c

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This command will not give you a new IP address.

As "Foad" explained it will only reset the cache.

Usually to get a new IP address, you need to cycle the power to your router. Just unplug the power cord, and plug it back in after a few seconds.

Unless you have a static IP address, this should give you a new IP address.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

"

Wyoming Rider answered

This command will not give you a new IP address. "

ipconfig /flushdns does not give you a new ip address. he was correct. you should thoroughly read others statements before criticizing!

DHCP is not always the way to go! some may prefer other methods.

flushing The Domain Name System(DNS)

DNS servers convert a domain name (such as example.com) into an IP address (in this case 192.0.32.10). The mapping of names to numbers can change from time to time.

Your computer holds a record of DNS entries to save looking them up every time. This is your DNS cache. You can delete those records (flush the cache) any time you like.

If a website has recently moved servers, you might see the old website for a while. Flushing your DNS cache might help.

• cotty
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Flush Dns Command

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does ipconfig /flushdns do?

I want to change my IP address. Will this command take me offline? Will I get a new IP from my ISP right away?

What exactly will happen?

c_c

Source(s): ipconfig flushdns do: https://biturl.im/gWTuz
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The 'ipconfig /flushdns' command serves an equally useful function. DNS ('Domain Name System') is the system that maps IP addresses to Internet addresses like http://www.pcstats.com/ (among other things).

By default, your computer system keeps a DNS resolver cache which stores the IP address attached to frequently used DNS names (and Internet URLs, which are essentially the same thing). This enables your system to bring up frequently accessed web pages quickly, without the need to first consult a chain of DNS servers on the Internet to find out what IP address is associated with, say www.pcstats.com.

If you are in a network that uses an Internal DNS server as the first point in this chain of servers, that DNS server's IP address is going to be a more or less permanent resident of your DNS cache. So what happens if that server changes or goes down? Even if there is a backup, your system still has the original IP address in its cache, and will check that address first whenever you type in a request for a web page. Obviously, querying a non-existent DNS server is not going to get you far. Unfortunately, even if you change the address of the DNS server to a valid one in your network connection settings, your system will ignore it in favour of the entry in the cache. This can lead to much frustration.

By using the 'ipconfig /flushdns' command, you delete the contents of the DNS resolver cache, meaning that your system will now recheck its settings to see where it should be going to get DNS addresses. Problem solved.

The 'ipconfig /displaydns' command will show you the current contents of your system's DNS resolver cache

• Mary
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avBDz

Yes, thats why when you are installing a router you have to join it up to the pluming system in your house so it can literally flush it away... And theres most people thinking its just a word representing it getting thrown away!

• 4 years ago

Ipconfig Flushdns

• 7 years ago

Wyoming Rider is incorrect about obtaining a new IP address as most routers support DHCP. All you have to do is CMD > ipconfig /release > ipconfig /renew.

You would use /flushdns if the website you connect to is not responding due to a server change. You can test this by finding the IP of the website CMD > ping -a google.com. If you can connect to the sites IP but not its name (ie google.com) then your local DNS cache wont allow you to. Flushing it will just start it from fresh and will not interrupt anything you do.

Source(s): Network major
  • 7 years ago

Computers connected to internet cache visited website’s hostname automatically to reload pages quickly. You can not load webpage if internet protocol address (ip address) changes before cache is updated and that will lead to “page not found” error. To resolve this issue you need to clear / flush dns cache.

Source

<a href>http://www.seekhowto.com/how-to-clear-flush-dns-ca...

• Anonymous
    6 years ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.