Cat Cough?

My cat has coughed, or at least that's what it sounds like to me, three times...that I know of. He coughed just a few minutes ago, a few days ago, and on New Year's Eve. This past time it seemed like it lasted a little longer and he stuck out his tongue. He doesn't act sick or anything like that. He... show more My cat has coughed, or at least that's what it sounds like to me, three times...that I know of. He coughed just a few minutes ago, a few days ago, and on New Year's Eve. This past time it seemed like it lasted a little longer and he stuck out his tongue. He doesn't act sick or anything like that. He still runs around like a crazy, healthy cat. I've read that hairballs, heartworms, feline asthma, etc. can cause coughing, but do cats cough like us humans do? Is it something natural to them or does it mean there really is something wrong? I will be taking him to the vet this week and will be asking him then just as a precaution. I know they give inhalers, Nebs, and oxygen set ups. I'm hoping he doesn't have to have anything like that because he's a terror when he knows he has to receive medication. Basically, I just want to know if it's common for cats to cough, and if not, has your cat done this? If so, what was wrong with them?
Update: He has only been an indoor cat for two months and my mom does smoke in the house. We also keep the temperature in the house around 73-75 degrees in the winter. This has only happened after he wakes up. Could be thirsty from sleeping? Could he just not be used to the heat running a lot since the temperatures have... show more He has only been an indoor cat for two months and my mom does smoke in the house. We also keep the temperature in the house around 73-75 degrees in the winter. This has only happened after he wakes up. Could be thirsty from sleeping? Could he just not be used to the heat running a lot since the temperatures have been in the 20s here? He has Pounce treats and he hasn't been going crazy over them lately. Maybe he has acid reflux...if that's even possible?
Update 2: I do brush him regularly and he doesn't shed at all. Any recommendations on hairball remedies?
Update 3: When I brought him home, he had ringworm and groomed himself a LOT. Today I was checking out Iams dry food for Hairballs. Anyone used this food before?