Electrical Wiring for House problem, please Read.?

Ok right off the top, it isn't the breaker because I had already put in a different working one, and it didn't do anything. Here is the problem, one night all the power in my hallway and 2 bedrooms just went out, and the rest of the house worked fine. The breaker was not flipped, none of the outlets worked and it now has been 3 days and im on my last nerve. I bought one of those electrical pens that show if there is electricity and checked the outlets. I plugged the tv into one of the sockets and i checked and there was an electric currrent but the tv would not turn, it didn't work for anything else either. i took all the outlets out and for some reason there is a current running through the black and white wires, it should only be on the black ones. It seems as if there is electric current going to all the places but there is just not enough of it, like its a very small amount. What do I do? Please help in any way, any help is appreciated. Sorry for the essay I just wrote. Thanks.

Thank you all so much, i have no idea who to pick so please vote, all these answers were great, and I appreciate for all the help.

Favorite Answer

apparently a wire is broke, loose of off and you are not getting a good connection. you would have to check each of the affected receptacles. if you cannot do this, contact an electrician

Not sure what an electrical pen is, I prefer to use a multi-meter type device, that checks for continuity, AC or DC voltage and gives the amount of each. You say that there is a current, but no mention of how much. Sounds like you have a back feed from somewhere in the circuit. The odds are that the hall and bedrooms are all on the same circuit, which shouldn't be, but in older homes it happened more often than it should, especially if the homeowner does the wiring. It's also possible that there is one or two outlets that have loose or broken wires going to them. I've seen it happen more than once, and while it 's not fun finding it, it can be done. Best advice would be to get a qualified electrician in for a look-see. It would probably be worth the money. By the way, Stanley, I've worked on hundreds of homes, electrical systems, taught electrical in 4-H for years, and have never heard of outlets being wired in series. That would make no sense at all. Outlets are wired in paralell.

• len b

aj has the idea. The bad connection will take some work unless you have a plan. I suggest that you shut the appropriate breaker off and then note all the devices that are not working. Then turn it on and see if some are working. Now you can bet that a connection between one of the ones that is working and on that isn't working is the problem. That should reduce your troubleshooting time. As you take an outlet out to check it, change the connections to "pigtail" while you have it out. The same when you find the culprit.

Another way is to just change all of them out to "pigtail" connections. Pigtail is connecting the (usually 2) black wires together with one extra piece (6' long or so) that will connect alone (rather that "stab lock") to the out let. And use the screws to connect.

This happed to a friend of mine. To speed the connections of an outlet there is a prcess of called back stabing, where the wires are striped and pushed onto the back of the receptical and in time may loose the connection. He had overloaded the curciut with a portable heater. I would turn off the power and remove the recepticale to see it the wires are attached with the side screws or just pushed into the back. Its's possible to have power there but you may just be reading the voltage from a tested like that. I would use a mutimeter as well. Good luck!

Throw away your electric pen. Then buy a cheap multi meter and measure the voltage. First at the breaker. Don't forget to check the neutral connection for that circuit in the panel. Then take your meter and check each device and splice, for both the hot and neutral wires on the circuit. Check hot to neutral to find an open hot wire. And check hot to ground to find an open neutral. Pull out each device and check the connections using your volt meter to find the open. If your receptacles are back stabbed, pay attention to those connections.

Source(s): I'm an electrician

First off the little pen type voltage checkers are very sensitive.A very small amount of voltage will make them beep. Not very helpful in trouble shooting problems of this type. Next you may have voltage but not neutral.

Best advice I can give is hire a qualified Electrician.

Source(s): Electrician

Cause the breaker is not off ,so you do not have short problem in circuit branch .The problem is a cut wire and this cut must be in one of the out lets wheree wire is connected to the out let .You need to open the one by one out lets in that branch to see wher is disconnected.

No matter how handy you otherwise might be, I strongly suggest you have a licensed electrician determine the problem and fix it!

Corky is correct, Stanley is way off base. Good catch Corky!

some times your plug ins are in series. i would check every plug in to that breaker if one is bad it could affect all. if there is a gfi in the line up you will need to reset that