Don't laugh but what does: me thinks thou dost protest too much mean?

Favorite Answer

Sorry to be a stickler, but the actual quote is, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." It's spoken by Hamlet's mother Gertrude as she watches a play (devised by Hamlet to make her squirm a little...) about a man who kills his brother and marries the widow -- essentially what's just happened in her own life, she being the widow. In the play, the woman is defending herself against accepting responsibility for her unsavory actions (marrying her dead husband's brother). Gertrude is basically saying that she would be a lot more believable if she weren't so vocal about her innocence. Or, the more you try to talk your way out of it, the less people will believe you.

Source(s): Shakespeare's "Hamlet"
    • Stella4 years agoReport

Thank you for the explanation. :)

• Ruby

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axULq

Methinks thou dost protest too much! Means that a person is making so much fuss about a particular thing that it leads the other to think they are perhaps guilty of that thing. Or in modern times, just that they have said enough already! Better to be silent... If someone offers no opinion on a matter, some may think they are too empty headed to comment. However, if they offer an opinion that is wrong (or just unpopular) then everyone will see that they really are stupid.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has misquoted that! I always heard it was "Me thinks thou dost protest too much" also! LOL.

Methinks

This originally came from a Shakespearean play. I think it was Hamlet.

Basically it means when someone is dramatizing a point, it may mean they are actually guilty of the point they are making. Examples:

A house burns down. Someone rants and raves we gotta get this guy, and goes overboard about it. This may indicate hmm, maybe he's the one who did it . . . .

Ex-smokers who complain to high heaven about smoking - then are caught sneaking one behind the building. "Methinks he doth protest too much.": :-)

If you try to deny what you did too much, you are probably guilty.

Source(s): Shakespear

You need to expound on that i dont quite understand. where u heard it? but if you meant (me thinks thou dost protest too much) i think it means - I THINK YOU PROTEST TOO MUCH.

I think you protest too much. Stop complaining. Take a chill pill.

hahahah LMAO LOL. I thought it was French