Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 decade ago

suv insurance 16 years?

I am getting a mini suv probably a 2006 chevrolet equinox or a 2006 tuscan hyundai for my 16th birthday. I am going to have to pay the insurance on it though, I would be cosighning with my parents. They have perfect credit and also I have a 4 month old daughter who will be riding with some of the time. About how much would the insurance cost me? I'm clueless when it comes to these things. Thanks in advance. Also what is the best mini suv to buy that is under 25 thousand?

Favorite Answer

If I had 25K to spend I'd definitely get the much better Santa Fe instead of the Tucson. I agree with poster 2 that you should reconsider buying a new vehicle and instead get a 2-3 year old model for about 40% less. As a new driver you will most likely be in an accident sooner rather then later (I've rarely met a teen that didn't, myself included), so please do get full coverage. As for the cost of insurance, if its on your parents policy you can probably get full coverage for as low as $1600, however if you had to go out on your own it could cost more then $3500 a year. Rates vary widely by insurance company, so don't assume you'll get the best rate on the first phone call. The insurance company doesn't care if you have a daughter, better not to tell them, just make sure to put her in the backseat with the childseat facing backwards. I don't know how many miles you will be driving, but don't forget the cost of gas and vehicle maintainence can add up and SUV's are more costly then cars in both those areas.

Get and compare quotes from different companies at - INSURERATES.INFO-

RE Suv insurance 16 years?

• Lucy

I don't think you can co-sign, I believe you have to be 18 to enter into any type of contract. Since it is a new car to be financed you will have to have full coverage insurance.

You will probably have to be insured under your parents policy and I would say it might run anywhere from $100-$200 a month.

As for a good mini suv check with the Kia dealership they have a ten year 100,000 mile warranty on their cars, I have had three Kia's and have never had any problems.

First of all, since you're only driving for less than a year, the insurance premium for a full coverage for a almost new vehicle will be VERY high. At 16, I am assuming that you're not working. Therefore, my suggestion would be to look at a used vehicle to save up on insurance premium. A used vehicle at the least will only require "LIABILITY" coverage as oppose to "FULL" coverage for a new one. If you'll go the used vehicle route, make sure you purchase "Liability with Comprehensive", so that if the car is stolen, vandalized or catches on fire, you are covered (minus your deductible). "Liability with comprehensive" means, if you caused the accident, your insurance will pay for damages to the third party, up to your policy limits and you fix your vehicle. If you are a good, FOCUSED driver and you're NOT a "tailgater", the chances of you CAUSING an accident is ALMOST none. I am sure your parents know about this. You can find good used vehicles from reputable dealers. Some offer extended warranty. Also, you will find that your premium will NOT go down until after you have driven three years (no accidents nor moving violations). In most states, a "good driver discount" is awarded after having driven three or more years of no infractions. Also, if you are in school and you maintain a GPA of 3.0 (B), you might qualify for a "good student" discount. Plus, Farmers Insurance Group offer a "Youthful Educational Safety" discount which is another 30%. Call and find out in your state.

Get insurance quotes

Let this site do the work for you: COVERAGE-FINDER.NET just submit your info and get the best rates.