Lammy
Lammy asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 decade ago

When you buy a house, how long are the previous owners liable for the central heating?

We bought a house recently and moved in 6-7 weeks ago, the boiler has broken down and we've been told we need a new one as it can't be repaired. We were told it could cost anything between £1000-£2000...money we don't have.

So I was wondering, how long are the previous owners liable for things like the central heating/boiler? Or am I clutching at straws here, will I need to pay for it myself?

I'm in Scotland by the way.

Favorite Answer

im afraid its now your responsibility. you should have paid for someone to go in and check all that out before signing the contract.

Dont think the place comes with any guarantees.Hew houses do/ Recent work to the property is probably still guaranteed, like double glazing, or roofing maintenance. But these guarantees would be from the contractors , not the previous owners. If the heating boiler was not the subject of a maintenance contract or recent work, then I don't think you are covered at all. From hindsight would have been wise to have had heating, hot water and electrical systems checked

It's your baby now I'm afraid. But DON'T PANIC!

I was in the same position, but needed all new central heating system too!! Because I'm on low wage, I was entitled to the government grant from WarmFront. They put in a whole new system and I didn;t pay a penny. It's the government's way of protecting the vulnerbale. If you are claiming any sort of benefit, or get child tax credit (like I do) then you could be entitled to some help. I asked at my benefits office, but 'google' "Warmfront", and it gives advice and a phone number to call to see if you are eliglible.

You will have to wait though. I know what you're going, I moved in October but had to wait till February to get any form of heating in my house. My kids and I lived through the coldest winter in years with just two oil filled radiators in the whole house. I wish you luck

Previous owners are liable for central heating and anything else...up to the point of closing the deal with you. Sorry, but this is your baby now. Ahh, the joys of being a homeowner.

In the USA it would now be your responsibility. You should have asked about the age and condition of the boiler and any other appliances that were in the house.

• Choqs

I think you are clutching at straws. Unless you can prove this was an ongoing problem that was not disclosed to you by the seller or estate agent the ball is now in your court. Sorry.

they are liable up to the moment when the property changed hands

i guess that the boiler has been working since you moved in and has only recently failed

sorry - but its your problem

When you purchased the house you also purchased all the problems that come with it.

Its a shame you live in Scotland, as I own my own plumbing company!

I believe you are "clutching at straws", sorry. You will find hte money somehow, living in Scotlans you'll need hot water & heating!

• xenon

ZILCH NOTHING Caveat emptor ( Let the buyer beware )

Once you have bought the house EVERYTHING is your responsibility, you should have had an inspection done BEFORE buying.