- Gretzky came into the NHL with one of the best teams in the league and was playing with Mark Messier, Jari Kurri, and others. Mario came into the league with the worst team in the league and did not have another 100 point scorer with him until 1988-89.
- Mario is the all-time leader in goals per game and points per game and, if he had been healthy, would have crushed Gretzky's points record and goals record, even if he had slowed down later in his career.
- When the league became more defensive minded, Mario kept his numbers while Gretzky never scored more than 168 after 1987.
- Mario left the NHL as the best player in the league (even after two herniated disks in his back and cancer) while Gretzky retired as an aging superstar on a steady decline.
- Gretzky never had an injury that lasted an extremely long time or was career-threatening. Mario had three, not including the long term effects it had on him.
- Gretzky played nearly twice as many games as Mario.
· 1 decade ago