Some pistols uses a 0.45 ACP rounds now don't you think its a bit too large?

I mean its close to 0.50 calliber bullets...PLease correct me if i a wrong and tell me why do we some times use mm for calliber and sometimes inch...I know mm is used in metric system but where is metric system used

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

.45 ACP is a large bullet but it is not too large. There is a lot more than just the diameter of a bullet that goes into the power and force behind it. A .45 ACP is not the most powerful cartridge. The most powerful cartridge of it's type is actually the 10mm. The 10mm is actually smaller than the .45 but it has more power to it. The reason why there are two different methods of measuring a bullet depends on where it was developed and who developed it. Many of the 9mm (.357 caliber) bullets were developed in countries that use the metric system while bullets like the .45 ACP were developed here in the US where we use the standard system of measure. It is measuring the diameter of the bullet. For example: The 9mm has the same diameter as a .357. But the shell is different. Certain shells are longer and contain more power. I have a .45 ACP which has roughly the same amount of power as a .40 s&w. It is a lighter bullet that gets propelled at a higher velocity so it carries almost the same effect as a larger bullet propelled at a slower velocity.

Do not listen to the propeganda put out there by the media that says that larger bullets are more dangerous. The only thing dangerous about a gun is the intentions of the person who is pulling the trigger.

EDIT:

Actually Calder C the .45 ACP was first developed by John Browning in an attempt to replace the weaker .38 caliber that was being used by the army at the time. He developed the cartridge for use in hie series of auto loading pistols starting with the model 1905 and eventuall in the model 1911. The army adopted the cartridge and issued it to their troops while they were fighting in the Philipines. The .38 would not stop the drug raged (philipino troops were drugged to enrage them and to fight harder) soldiers but the .45 ACP. And after it passed this test it became the standard issue caliber for the next 70 or so years. It was not until the 1980s when Baretta won the government contract with their M9 (or model 96) that knocked the M1911 A-1 and the .45 ACP off it's throne. The .45 ACP was really the first of many good rimless cartridges and helped America win two world wars and protect our country for all of these years.

For the record I prefer the 10mm. the 10mm is the most powerfuol rimless cartridge available and the best for home defense, I carry a Kimber 1911 chambered in 10mm more often than I carry my .45 ACP.

Source(s): Lifelong Hunter and Gun Enthusiast
  • 1 decade ago

Why is it too large? Muskets were made in .56-.75 caliber, with pistlols as large as .65 caliber. The .45 colt has been around for almost a century and a half, and the .45 APC round is right around a century old as well. Besides, with the .45 APC you get a large, slow moving bullet, which means less chance of it defeating bulletproof vests, while a 9mm has better velocity and longer range, making it a far more dangerous weapon. Then you have .357 magnum rounds that can crack engine blocks. Today, there are even .460 and .500 magnum handgun rounds that people use to hunt bear with.

As for the caliber vs. metric system, countries that use the metric system obviously develop weapons using metric dimensions. Americans and the English still use caliber, which is a percent of an inch, in the case of small arms.

• 1 decade ago

Back during the Philippine insurrection the US Army used a .38 cal .service revolver. They found out that you can put 6 rounds into someone and they can still take a machete and cleave you to the teeth with it before they die. A .45 ACP will lift the target right off their feet. They switched to the 9 mm because they hold more ammo. But they are back to their old problem again. The metric system is used almost everywhere. The US is about the only country that uses the standard system of measure yet.

• 1 decade ago

The metric bullet sizes like 9mm are used for european designed cartiges. The inch, also called caliber, .45, .25. .38 etc, etc are used for U.S. and British designed cartiges. Granted they may be the same thing... like 10mm and .40 caliber. They are the same diameter bullet just measured on a different scale.

To answer your original question.. NO .45 ACP is not too big. In my experience the .45 is the best man-stopping round available. If you think about it all other cartiges are too small. The .45 ACP has been used since WW1 and will probably never stop being used because it is the right tool for the job. End of Story.

And just because it is close to .50 caliber is size does not mean that it is like the .50 AE seen in the Desert Eagle or the .500 S&W. Do your ballistics research and you will see the difference.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

After a couple shootout with bad guys the Feds determined that the 9 MM was too small if the bad guys have body armor. The .45 ACP was developed because the .38 was too weak against a hopped up enemy.

The reason that the US still uses the English system is because we don't like the metric system, although our military is saddled with it because of NATO.

• J S
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

a .45 is a larger diameter bullet, but it is not an overly powerful round. The size of the bullet doesn't necessarily equal power. It depends on how much powder is behind it and how much barrel length the powder has to to accelerate the bullet. It all depends on the purpose of the weapon as to whether it is too big. Nobody in Grizzly country is gonna carry a 45acp as their main back up weapon! For self defense purposes, all handguns in general are a poor choice. They are under-powered, harder to shoot accurately, and don't do near the damage of the average center fire rifle round. The only problem is, that rifles are big and not easy to carry around all day or conceal. So a handgun is a compromise, allowing easy carry and "decent" defense. As for the cal. vs. mm question. Most rounds designed and developed in the USA and Brittan were measured in caliber because they used that system of measurement. Rounds developed or widely used pretty much everywhere else were measured with metrics.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"I mean it is close to 0.50 calliber bullets..."

Okay, this line tells me you are have been swayed by the media hate campaign directed at the 50BMG.

For starters, the 'caliber' is the diameter of a bullet or bore. Unfortunately the media often simply states '50 caliber rifle' when talking about a very specific and powerful chambering, the 50 BMG, as used in the Barrett rifle.

But in actuality there are many other totally unrelated guns that fire a bullet that is .50 inches or larger. A 12 guage shotgun is much larger in diameter. Many old muzzleloading muskets used balls that were at or bigger than .5 inches in diameter.

What is more relevant is how FAST the bullet is going plus how heavy the bullet is. Most guns don't fire perfectly sphereical bullets any more, they fire pointed cylinders. A long pointed cylinder is of course heavier than a short one.

Obviously our technology has improved, we have better gunpowders nowadays and can have much more powerful guns than the old muzzleloaders. Still, some .50 cal chamberings like the 50BMG are very very powerful firing it's 660grain bullet at 3,000 feet per second producing 12,500 foot-pounds of energy. The current most powerful handgun is the 500 Smith and Wesson, fires a 400 grain bullet at 1,600 feet per second producing 2,400 foot-pounds of energy.

Now, the lowly 45ACP fires a 200 grain bullet at 900 feet per second producing 400 foot-pounds of energy.

So no, it is not too powerful.

Regarding metric vs inches for caliber. It is up to the individual who invents the round what he wants to call it. In general, "American" rounds are given inch designation based names, and "European" rounds are given mm designation based names.

• 1 decade ago

skavotajs, have you actually ever shot a .45 ACP??? I can say almost everyone, and definitely all gun experts will tell you that a .45 ACP has the easiest-to-handle recoil of any effective common round (9mm parabellum, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP). This is simply because the .45 ACP is a SUBSONIC round and uses mass instead of velocity to carry its energy.

It sounds like a very big round, but if you've ever shot .45 ACP, you will find that it is actually very nice to shoot. Studies have also found that it is very effective at its intended function: stopping a human assailant. The primary drawback for civilian self-defense applications is that the length of the cartridge can either 1) make the handgun grip too big for smaller hands, or 2) limit the capacity of a magazine. The bigger bullet is also more expensive to practice with.

The primary drawback in military applications is that the .45 ACP sidearm is not ammunition-compatible to the 9mm parabellum, which is commonly employed as (it was originally designed to be) a sub-machinegun round. That said, recent experience in contemporary military action has revealed that 9mm ball rounds (the Hague convention of 1899 bans hollowpoints in warfare) in a sidearm is very ineffective. The US is now outfitting some troops with .45 ACP sidearms, most notably Special Forces.

Source(s): My family and I own handguns in .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9mm parabellum, 9mm Kurtz/Makarov, and .22 LR.
  • 1 decade ago

First, a .45 ACP is an excellent handgun round. You have to consider the use of a handgun...if you have to pull a handgun, you are wanting to end a confrontation quickly and decisively.

Second, it depends on where the round was developed, as to whether it is measured in inches or millimeters. European bullets (like a 9mm parabellum), are, naturally measured in millimeters. English and American-origin calibers are measured in inches.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

.45 inch is about 11.25 mm- at least thats what Norwegian army called their version. Old English and American cartridges first named in inchs- names remain as original. .45 inch /11.25 mm 230 grain/15 gram bullet at about 850 feet per second/275 meter per second . Energy level in foot- pounds about 350- this is about the same as standard 9x19mm. Proven cartridge- it works as intended. 1911 pistol is pre WW1 design- remember if you can that the British service pistol was the .455 Webly with a heavier bullet, the .44 S&W special and .44 Russian rounds were used in Europe, 11mm pistols also used in military - some times same basic cartridge as S&W, different weight bullet and powder charge. Smaller high speed bullets were developed WW1 to save metal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.