How much should I ask for my old car?

I have to get rid of our old car and am wondering what would be reasonable to ask of Craig's List.

It's a 1995 Honda Civic 4-door with 175k miles. It is running well, but is burning a little bit of oil.

Cosmetically, the paint is in good shape except for a few minor scratches. The hood is a little munched and dented and bowed where someone backed into it - it doesn't close properly, but it does open and close. There is a minor dent on the inside where someone rear ended me at 10 mph. There is a small (1 inch) crack in the windshield that hasn't grown in the last year. One headlight keeps going out. The tires are pretty good, but one is flat and the spare is on (a real tire not one of those goofy little things.)

The inside is in OK shape, but the driver's side door handle is broken but usable and the handle on the glove box is broken off. The radio works but the tape doesn't (no CD). The AC works OK.

Well, what do you think, is it worth anything or should I torch it?

Best Answer

Are you sure it's BURNING oil and not LEAKING oil?

The former is much worse. It means your car is worth maybe a grand. It would be worth more like twice that if it wasn't burning oil. The cosmetic damage could knock a few hundred more off of it.

If it's how it sounds, I'd ask for 1000, and not settle for less than 700.

You could probably get anywhere from $1000-$2000 with its current condition. Civics are typically great cars so if someone wants to fix it up for there 16 year old it wouldn't be that bad. If worse comes to worse though you can probably look in the PennySaver or other local ads and someone will give you $500 to recycle or use it for parts.

• gong

in case you do not itemize on your taxes (as an get jointly, if you're not to any extent further a house proprietor), do not worry donating the motor vehicle till you only prefer to do it as a type deed benefitting a charity. in case you itemize, pass for it. ensure the Blue e book value on Kelly Blue e book or a similar website, PRINT OUT the recommendations, and keep it consisting of your tax archives. If the Blue e book says the motor vehicle you've donated became properly worth $4,218, then it really is the quantity you should declare. keep the recommendations consisting of your archives if you're audited. The charity provides you with a tax receipt. also, in case you've placed any funds into the motor vehicle (upkeep, and so on.) at the moment, keep those receipts also to justify the Blue e book value. I donated a motor vehicle to charity and it ended up being an quite good boon come tax time! It extremely reduces the quantity of taxes you owe and could likely supply you a hefty refund.

ha as long as it runs without having to continually tamper with it, id say it would make a pretty good first car. Im 16, been looking around a bit, and ive seen worse. Im sure you could get something out of it. Maybe you sould consider a trade in because cars in that condition can be hard to sell personally.

keep it for a spare you wont get more than 2000 and you never know when it might come in handy. 2k is high according to the description.

Find out the purchaser and dispose off to his price .Better keep it till demand comes.

i would buy it off of you! i would torch it but if u wanna get rid of it and just want some extra cash hit me u!