I need help for what to tell my parents. I'm dropping out of high school?

I've missed too many days to graduate anyway, I am depressed, and I am failing my senior year. Don't tell me not to drop out thats not what I'm here for. I am dropping out because once I do, I can move away from my home situation(where I've been hit, verbally abused, etc) I am able to move in with family out of state when I drop out. I WILL BE GETTING MY GED!! AND going to Communtiy College. I just cant finish the rest of this school year. I want to tell them this weekend but I don't know what to say. I am my parents oldest so I would have been the first to graduate but now I'm not goin got so that will dissapoint my mom. What would be the best way to tell them without getting yellled at? Once again, please don't tell me now to drop out, I'm here for advice on what to say. I have already made up my mind about dropping out. Im 18 by the way. Thanks!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well if your home situation is that bad, are you sure you even want to tell them?

I would make sure your packed and ready to go before you do. Then just say I'm leaving to stay with (insert who), to get my GED and go to college early...haha. Thats how to put a positive twist. Cause technically, you can drop out early and get your GED.

Good luck! And remember to actually get your GED so many people don't, and let it get away from them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Since you're 18, you're a legal adult now and you really don't owe your parents any explanation.

Why do you think college will be any different than high school? It isn't really much different.

Employers do look at dropouts very negatively. If you can't finish school, how can you possibly hold down a job.

If you're old enough to make the decision to drop out, you're old enough to listen to others tell you the implications of dropping out.

I'm not lecturing you, you're a big boy now and you should make your decisions as an adult, and now that you are an adult, you need to act like one, take control of your life, and move on and do what you said you're going to do.

Don't you think your parent's have a right to be upset about this? They know what the future looks like for drop-outs, and it's not pretty! Those with the actual diploma will get chosen first, for jobs and for college.

GED is NOT the same as a diploma. GED=dropout, especially for someone in your age bracket.

Just a few things to think about. Good luck to you, you're going to need it.

• 1 decade ago

I would be sure you are safe for starters if you think it may bring on a "bad" outcome. Have other family adults present or do it in a restaurant or public place where everyone will hopefully keep their "cool" and this will improve your odds of telling them your plans. I would start by saying that You don't want to disappoint them, however, at 18, you have decided to change your school course to better suite you. You have unfortunately missed too many days to graduate, so you have decided that acquiring your ged instead to still get your degree will better suite you at this point and that you will be doing this while you live with ---------. This will also allow for you to get it faster and maybe work while attending a junior college as well. Tell them your goals have not changed but rather "how" you will achieve them . I think if they feel you have a plan in place that it will not matter and you will still have your degree. Good luck, and the bottom line is that you are 18 and it really is your life at this time. I will ask you the one question that I feel your parents will ask. How do you think you will favor getting your ged or attend college if you can't attend high school? The fact is, if you didn't stay in school, what makes you think you will stay in college or even get your ged? Do YOU need a reality check first?

Source(s): college grad
  • 1 decade ago

look i'm 36 years olr i got my GED when i was 15.so you'll be ok there.asfar as what to say i would talk to dad first,tell him you need to talk to a freind another man that way you open up looking like your an adult.then tell him what is going on in school and go at it from the money side.that if you move out it will be easer on the fam and tell him your plan.if every thing goes good then have him help you with your mom.he has been with her for a long time and should know how to talk to her or aleast be there to help you tell her.hope it works out for you.rember your not old but your still a man.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you are in an abusive family, then obviously they have problems communicating in a healthy way anyway so I can't imagine how you can tell them such news without them getting upset. You just have to go into it knowing that they WILL yell, they will get upset period. If you make peace with that and prepare yourself mentally for that, then you'll be better prepared to handle it. I would normally give the "don't drop out" speech but it sounds like you have a genuine need to escape your home situation and it also sounds like you've really thought out a plan. Please, please stick to that plan. Life has a way of getting in the way and moving too fast. If you put it off, you might never get it done. Just muster up all the courage you can and lay it out for them. Make sure you tell them your plan in detail so they can take that into consideration. Goodluck to you.

• 1 decade ago

I'm not going to tell you not to drop out, and I'm glad your plans include a GED and college. I would suggest if you can to enroll in a new HS to get a real diploma though. No matter what you say to your mom she'll be mad.

Just say I know your not going to like this, but I've made up my mind and this is what I'm going to do. I hope you will support me in my decision.

• 1 decade ago

Get together with your parents and let them know your plans... I have planned to ______________.

Hon if you are having problems in school, are depressed and failing classes, please take the time to figure out if you need some sort of help... sometimes kids are very overwhelmed with all they have to learn, and just throw in the towel.. other times, they have problems like dyslexia or issues with reading. So, maybe you could discuss your disinterest in school with the guidance counselor or someone in the system who is knowledgable ? I just wish to see you thrive, that's all...

take care and good luck with everything you wish for! I know your dreams will come true. hugs

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Good luck getting a job later in life

• 1 decade ago

I say wait until you actually drop out and have your bags packed and ready to go.

• 1 decade ago

u should totally drop out but when you do try and get a job that pays

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.