Mountain bike or road bike?

I am looking to buy myself a new bike soon as my old Novara is getting to small and beat up. I live in the suburbs and spend almost all my biking time on paved roads, although, I have been thinking about trying some off-road trail riding lately. I can't decide whether I want to buy a mountain bike for comfort... show more I am looking to buy myself a new bike soon as my old Novara is getting to small and beat up. I live in the suburbs and spend almost all my biking time on paved roads, although, I have been thinking about trying some off-road trail riding lately. I can't decide whether I want to buy a mountain bike for comfort and off roading abilities or a Road bike for speed and long distance riding. The only long distance riding i do is on the silver comet trail which is a paved road so a Road bike would be suitable but a mountain bike would be more comfterable. I have also considered buying one of each as i realize that there is no other way to get the best of both. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
16 answers 16