Exchange Student?

Has anyone done any exchange student programs?

I am in high school and would love to go over to europe for a semester or ever a whole school year.

I would love to hear other peoples experieces with student exchange programs

• mari
    Favorite Answer

I was a Rotary exchange student in Quito, Ecuador for a year in 1999-2000. I went the year after high school because my high school wouldn't give me credit for foreign exchange, and it worked out pretty well that way. I got to graduate with my class, didn't have to repeat a year, and got to do something totally different during the year between high school and college. One thing you should know is that you have to apply really early to do an exchange. If I remember correctly, I applied in September or October 1998 and left for Ecuador in August 1999. Rotary is a great program, but you can also go with AFS and YFU, which I've heard are good programs. Rotary is generally more affordable, but it varies from club to club. It's also pretty competitive in some areas, but in other areas they're actively trying to recruit students to do an exchange because they don't have enough applicants. I'd recommend getting a brochure from AFS and YFU and calling your local Rotary Club and asking to speak to the Youth Exchange Coordinator. That person will be able to tell you about cost, deadlines, available countries, etc.

My advice to potential exchange students is to try to expand your idea of where you'll do your exchange. Sure, Europe is cool, but have you considered Brazil, Thailand, or South Africa? There are so many different places you could go, so I suggest you think about what you want from an exchange, and what your tolerance for new and different things is. While I haven't lived in Europe, I have visited, and it is very similar to the U.S. when compared to Ecuador. Part of what I loved about Ecuador is that it was so completely different. I'm not saying you shouldn't go to Europe, but at least consider thinking outside the Western European box when deciding where you want to go. I know from personal experience that the Rotary program is more likely to accept you as an exchange student if you're willing to go where they send you, rather than having a very narrow idea of where you want to go.

Feel free to e-mail me, I love to talk about foreign exchange and would be happy to answer any questions. :)

Laura

• mataya

soreness: in undemanding terms Love Can wreck Your coronary heart - Neil youthful Mellowness: Mellow Yellow - Donovan Loneliness: snicker, snicker - Beau Brummels Happiness: outstanding chuffed people - REM satisfaction: Head Held severe - Velvet Underground they'll quickly comprehend our thoughts.

Me too! I'll check back on this too hear what other people said...

Source(s): haha sorry waste of space :)