Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

JUST CURIOUS,what factor or factors convinced you to become or not to become a vegetarian????

this is a 3 part question.

1. where do you live, and do you think geography played a part???

2. Is your lifestyle mirrored by your immediate family??? father,mother,husband,wife ect........

3. 20 years from now, do you your commitment will hold or waver?????

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

personal answer-- missisippi- more than not-no known vegatarians in family but a whole lot of salad lovers - no forseeable change. (not a vegetarian)

SERIOUS, MATURE ANSWERS ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

To answer your very interesting question:

I am 56, I have been an ova-lacto vegetarian for 36 years.

(I eat animal-friendly dairy and eggs, nothing that takes the life of, or is derived from, an animal). I am a culinary historian and have included aspects of this topic in my books.

1. I live in a rural mountain-resort area of Southern Calif. The geography did not influence my choice to become a veggie. In fact, this area is slow in food trends, so in the early years of being a veggie, I spent a lot of time reading labels and never going for fast food.

2. No person in my family was (or is) a veggie. In fact, I come from very old planter families out of the South (all the way back to Virginia of the 1600s) and my parents owned a fine dinner house... I grew up in the kitchen, at home and in the restaurant. My husband is not a veggie, nor are our three grown sons. I cooked many double meals for us, because I wanted each son to make his own choice. Yes, I cook meat, for those who eat it. Food is hospitality and for a meat eater that means they should have what makes them feel welcomed. This is a philosophy that is very personal and influenced from having grown up in a restaurant family. Food is culture and how it is gathered, prepared and offered is an indication of hospitality. I believe that individual choices should be respected.

3. Twenty years from now I will still be a veggie, it is a commitment to a lifestyle that is compatible with my personality. And one other thing... this is not a religious issue, I am the only veggie, Episcopalian at my church., and because of the open and accepting nature of the Episcopal parish...this is never a problem.

• 1 decade ago

1. where do you live, and do you think geography played a part???

St. Louis Missouri, I don't think geography had anything to do with it. St. Louis is not especially vegetarian friendly (but it has gotten better over the last ten years).

2. Is your lifestyle mirrored by your immediate family??? father,mother,husband,wife ect........

I am the only vegetarian in my family, my wife was raised vegetarian and most of her family are vegetarians (HIndus from India). I wouldn't have married a woman who eats meat, I don't want it in my kitchen.

3. 20 years from now, do you your commitment will hold or waver?????

If I'm still alive in 20 years, my committment will be the same. I have already been vegetarian for 23 years and it means a lot to me. The only thing could possibly make me change is if I had some kind of major brain injury or dementia that made me forget who I am.

• Maggie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

1. I live in the Chicago suburbs as well (represent, other Chicago suburbian veghead!). I do not think it has anything to do with geography. I am lucky enough to have a vegetarian restaurant in the same town and lots of veg-friendly places, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. I did a lot of research on the economic and environmental effects of the meat and dairy industry, and the way the two industries manipulate the government. I saw a lot of videos about what goes on in slaughterhouses. It just happened... I slowly ate less and less meat, then went veg completely, and finally vegan.

2. No, nobody else is vegan in my family, but I do have some vegetarians in the family. We all love and support and understand one another though, it's not a big issue for anyone :)

3. I believe I will not go back to eating meat again, not unless I develop amnesia and forget everything I have learned about meat and dairy.

• 1 decade ago

1. Kansas City- it played a part in that it is a big enough city to have vegetarian restaurants and grocery stores. But was also a factor when i wasnt a veg because it is a steak and bbq town.

2. No. I've got a vegetarian girlfriend though.

3. I think it will hold. I'm not incredibly strict, and i started doing it partially to help with stomach problems, which is working well. I really don't know why i would even consider stopping.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

1. Atlantic Canada- I think, if anything, my geographical location would work against being vegetarian as it is not a very common thing here and vegetarian options are limited- particularly restaurant-wise.

2. I am the one and only vegetarian I know. I think I need to change that because it's kind of a lonely feeling!

3. I don't like meat and I am so grossed out by the idea of eating dead animal parts I can't see that changing, but one can't really predict the future.

• 1 decade ago

1. East Texas... not really, excluding family, I'm probably the only other vegetarian in my rural town. There are a few farms and ranches around, and I'm sure they frown on vegetarianism, seeing as how it would lessen their profits.

2. One of my aunts was a vegetarian years before me, my mother became one shortly after I did. My cousin is a (I hate to say the word...) "pescetarian". None of us have the same reasoning for our diets.

3. I think my "commitment" will hold. I don't foresee any reason why I would return to my old habits.

• 1 decade ago

this is a 3 part question.

1. where do you live, and do you think geography played a part??? Chicago suburbs.

My sister and mother are vegetarian...but I became vegetarian when I was around 12...and they caught on.

3. 20 years from now, do you your commitment will hold or waver????? HOLD! i'm vegan..and love it. I plan to raise my kids vegan...and yeah, for me, there's no other way to live! :D

• 1 decade ago

I am Vegetarian trying to go Vegan

Gloucstershire UK- Dont think Geography had an impact

My mother doesn't eat alot of meat- but other wise no

20 years, I hope so

• 1 decade ago

The main reason I became vegetarian was due to ecological reasons - the waste of resources used to make meat, meat products, etc.

I live in the Northeast.. It didnt have anything to do with my decision.

Nobody else in my family is vegetarian, though we did not grow up eating much red meat.

I will not change my vegetarian lifestyle in 20 years. I feel healthier and I do not miss eating meat at all.

• 1 decade ago

1. San Diego - has large conglomerate of organic growers and vegetarian restaurants which plays a definite part of helping me maintain my lifestyle.

2. Just my wife and I but we do get questions from our family.

3. No change for us.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.