Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

JUST CURIOUS,what factor or factors convinced you to become or not to become a vegetarian????

this is a 3 part question.

1. where do you live, and do you think geography played a part???

2. Is your lifestyle mirrored by your immediate family??? father,mother,husband,wife ect........

3. 20 years from now, do you your commitment will hold or waver?????

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

personal answer-- missisippi- more than not-no known vegatarians in family but a whole lot of salad lovers - no forseeable change. (not a vegetarian)

SERIOUS, MATURE ANSWERS ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Answer

To answer your very interesting question:

I am 56, I have been an ova-lacto vegetarian for 36 years.

(I eat animal-friendly dairy and eggs, nothing that takes the life of, or is derived from, an animal). I am a culinary historian and have included aspects of this topic in my books.

1. I live in a rural mountain-resort area of Southern Calif. The geography did not influence my choice to become a veggie. In fact, this area is slow in food trends, so in the early years of being a veggie, I spent a lot of time reading labels and never going for fast food.

2. No person in my family was (or is) a veggie. In fact, I come from very old planter families out of the South (all the way back to Virginia of the 1600s) and my parents owned a fine dinner house... I grew up in the kitchen, at home and in the restaurant. My husband is not a veggie, nor are our three grown sons. I cooked many double meals for us, because I wanted each son to make his own choice. Yes, I cook meat, for those who eat it. Food is hospitality and for a meat eater that means they should have what makes them feel welcomed. This is a philosophy that is very personal and influenced from having grown up in a restaurant family. Food is culture and how it is gathered, prepared and offered is an indication of hospitality. I believe that individual choices should be respected.

3. Twenty years from now I will still be a veggie, it is a commitment to a lifestyle that is compatible with my personality. And one other thing... this is not a religious issue, I am the only veggie, Episcopalian at my church., and because of the open and accepting nature of the Episcopal parish...this is never a problem.

St. Louis Missouri, I don't think geography had anything to do with it. St. Louis is not especially vegetarian friendly (but it has gotten better over the last ten years).

I am the only vegetarian in my family, my wife was raised vegetarian and most of her family are vegetarians (HIndus from India). I wouldn't have married a woman who eats meat, I don't want it in my kitchen.

If I'm still alive in 20 years, my committment will be the same. I have already been vegetarian for 23 years and it means a lot to me. The only thing could possibly make me change is if I had some kind of major brain injury or dementia that made me forget who I am.

• Maggie

1. I live in the Chicago suburbs as well (represent, other Chicago suburbian veghead!). I do not think it has anything to do with geography. I am lucky enough to have a vegetarian restaurant in the same town and lots of veg-friendly places, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. I did a lot of research on the economic and environmental effects of the meat and dairy industry, and the way the two industries manipulate the government. I saw a lot of videos about what goes on in slaughterhouses. It just happened... I slowly ate less and less meat, then went veg completely, and finally vegan.

2. No, nobody else is vegan in my family, but I do have some vegetarians in the family. We all love and support and understand one another though, it's not a big issue for anyone :)

3. I believe I will not go back to eating meat again, not unless I develop amnesia and forget everything I have learned about meat and dairy.

1. Kansas City- it played a part in that it is a big enough city to have vegetarian restaurants and grocery stores. But was also a factor when i wasnt a veg because it is a steak and bbq town.

2. No. I've got a vegetarian girlfriend though.

3. I think it will hold. I'm not incredibly strict, and i started doing it partially to help with stomach problems, which is working well. I really don't know why i would even consider stopping.

1. Atlantic Canada- I think, if anything, my geographical location would work against being vegetarian as it is not a very common thing here and vegetarian options are limited- particularly restaurant-wise.

2. I am the one and only vegetarian I know. I think I need to change that because it's kind of a lonely feeling!

3. I don't like meat and I am so grossed out by the idea of eating dead animal parts I can't see that changing, but one can't really predict the future.

1. East Texas... not really, excluding family, I'm probably the only other vegetarian in my rural town. There are a few farms and ranches around, and I'm sure they frown on vegetarianism, seeing as how it would lessen their profits.

2. One of my aunts was a vegetarian years before me, my mother became one shortly after I did. My cousin is a (I hate to say the word...) "pescetarian". None of us have the same reasoning for our diets.

3. I think my "commitment" will hold. I don't foresee any reason why I would return to my old habits.

this is a 3 part question.

1. where do you live, and do you think geography played a part??? Chicago suburbs.

My sister and mother are vegetarian...but I became vegetarian when I was around 12...and they caught on.

3. 20 years from now, do you your commitment will hold or waver????? HOLD! i'm vegan..and love it. I plan to raise my kids vegan...and yeah, for me, there's no other way to live! :D

I am Vegetarian trying to go Vegan

Gloucstershire UK- Dont think Geography had an impact

My mother doesn't eat alot of meat- but other wise no

20 years, I hope so

The main reason I became vegetarian was due to ecological reasons - the waste of resources used to make meat, meat products, etc.

I live in the Northeast.. It didnt have anything to do with my decision.

Nobody else in my family is vegetarian, though we did not grow up eating much red meat.

I will not change my vegetarian lifestyle in 20 years. I feel healthier and I do not miss eating meat at all.

1. San Diego - has large conglomerate of organic growers and vegetarian restaurants which plays a definite part of helping me maintain my lifestyle.

2. Just my wife and I but we do get questions from our family.

3. No change for us.