Why do people think that Star Trek is a Nerdy TV show?

Why do people make fun of Star Trek? What is wrong with the show? People criticize Star Trek fans and put them down...how did Star Trek get recognized as the "Nerdy TV show"? Everyone says that Star Trek is stupid and retarded and thinks that people who do watch it are nerds.

What do u think of Star Trek?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

I love Star Trek and have since I was a kid. I'm not a nerd but I do understand how Trek fans get labeled as nerds. I watch Star Trek all the time and like all but Enterprise, it has a message in each show and episode that relates to every day things :)

I LOVE star trek. The originals are classics and there is no other. The later TV shows are pretty good too. I watched them. You don't have to be a "treky" OR a nerd to love these shows. Those that say Star Trek is stupid or retarded are in a very small group of people who don't know better.

• Lepke

I think Star Trek is a great show. I liked The Next Generation best. The problem is that some fans get so obsessed and picky about the minutia of the show and don't seem to have any interests outside of that fictional universe. That's why it got a reputation as a nerdy show.

Star Trek is suited to TV because of its episodic structure; Star Wars of late is so disappointing, that I would say all in all, Star Trek is more uniformly good at delivering what it promises and more. The Star Trek movies are pretty good too, except for ST I, V, and XI

I love Star Trek. It IS nerdy, which I don't agree is a negative connotation. People who make fun of it (and anything nerdy, for that matter) are not intelligent, which makes them jealous of "nerdy" people who are. It's psych 101, humans (especially the dim ones) feel inadequate when threatened and try to cover it up by shedding light on others' perceived shortcomings. Nerds rule this world because of their intelligence.

I've always liked Star Trek, and Star Trek: Next Gen. In the original, o.k., there is Kirk's overacting and stuff, but I've always been a Trek person....

I don't know how anyone could say anything bad about a TV series that sparked so many spin offs and so many wonderful movies. Look at the stars from the first series that are still out there and doing good things. Look at the billions the show has made in trademarked products.

What could be bad about anything so good?

Unhappy people are always looking for ways to bring others down to their level.

I love Star Trek in most of its incarnations, most especially TNG and DS9, and I am the LAST person you would call a nerd. And there is the fact that it's all based on truth.

I watch Star Trek, Voyager is my favorite

um... i think it's cuz a lot of ppl just get completely obsessed with star trek. no further comments