Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 decade ago

as a foreigner, can I open a bank account in the USA?

I often visit my girfriend here and it would be much more convenient and cheaper for me to have a US bank account and/or credit card. Is it possible?

Favorite Answer

Try Bank of America, there's where my foreign sister and brother in law have their accounts. I work at a University and foreign students and faculty open theirs all the time. Ask at the bank of your choice. I think you have to fill out that W-8 form.

Yes, but you have to provide some information.

The account opening application will ask you to provide your social security number. If you don't have it, you have to provide information of your passport and documents of your legal entry to USA.

My brother is a foreign student. He not only has bank accounts, but also IRA accounts and stock trading accounts.

Banks normally won't refuse any business. You can open a saving account. And then you can ask the bank to give you a credit card based on your saving account. The bank doesn't lose anything. A saving account will allow you 2 or 3 withdrawl every month. It should be enough for you.

You can open a bank account. Be sure to file out a form W-8Ben when you open the account; the W-9 form is only for US Citizens and Resident Aliens.

As a Non-resident, any interest income is not taxed by the US government.

You can use a foreign account opening service (HSBC offers one for £100) and they'll set everything up for you. Otherwise get an account that gives you suitable benefits. The HSBC Plus account gives you free family travel insurance for trips up to thirty days long and free cash machine withdrawals abroad. At the moment it costs £6.47 per month for the first 12 months and £12.95 for the rest of the initial 18 month contract.

Source(s): I work for a bank.

why would you need to open an account for just a couple of weeks, just transfer money from your current bank.