Computer crashed - Which files should I try to save?

My computer crashed last week. The HDD had some sort of problem; it looks like maybe a corrupt MBR or similar issue because a scan of the drive reveals no errors. I put the HDD in another computer I have at home and using a file recovery program I can get at the files, but I will need to do a reformat and... show more My computer crashed last week. The HDD had some sort of problem; it looks like maybe a corrupt MBR or similar issue because a scan of the drive reveals no errors. I put the HDD in another computer I have at home and using a file recovery program I can get at the files, but I will need to do a reformat and reinstall.

So, my question is: Which files should I try to backup? I am running XP SP2, Office 2003, Firefox and several other common applications. I have grabbed everything that was under My Documents, any Word Documents, my Outlook .pst file and a few other bits and pieces. Which other files should I go for? I'm thinking configuration files, bookmark files, address books, etc. But obviously they would have to be usable when I reinstall XP - not all apps let you simply copy over the old version of the config file.

And a reminder: I can't boot the drive or open any applications on the drive so I can't start Firefox, or Outlook, to do a proper backup of the files.

Thanks!
Update: Thanks to those who have offered suggestions. To clarify, I've tried everything to avoid reinstalling. I have tried FIXMBR, FIXBOOT, the Windows Recovery Console, etc., etc. Probably a few things I've tried have created even more problems. The computer needed a good "high colonic"... show more Thanks to those who have offered suggestions.

To clarify, I've tried everything to avoid reinstalling. I have tried FIXMBR, FIXBOOT, the Windows Recovery Console, etc., etc. Probably a few things I've tried have created even more problems. The computer needed a good "high colonic" anyway...!

What I'm most concerned with is specific files - file names/locations if possible. I could back up the entire hard drive but it wouldn't help me when it comes time to reinstalling - I need to know which files can simply be copied over and which will actually be of use. I seem to recall a lot of config/profile files can't simply be copied over for one reason or another.