gigijaderick asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Braces for gum recession?

I'm 43 and my dentist suggested braces for a bite/alignment issue which is causing gums to recede. I was shocked because I have visually nice teeth. He explained that my bite was causing the teeth to move, which would likely result in damage to the roots, leading to bigger problems down the line. I saw an orthodontist and he agreed. I'm just wondering if this seems like overly aggressive treatment?

The dentist also said a sleep guard was the second option, which might slow the damage, but not correct it.

I am a new patient to the referring dentist, and I think I trust him. He came highly recommended by a friend.

The recession is occurring starting at my canine teeth and then back 3-4 teeth on each side.

The dentist did a lot of diagnostics by making me move my jaw side to side to see how the affected teeth were bumping into the bottom teeth.

He felt it wasn't due to rough brushing because he didn't see it affecting any other teeth then the ones that were bumping when moving the jaw side to side.

His letter to the orthodontist read as follows:

"... several areas of recession were noted. I believe these areas are related to her group function. I explained the benefits of cuspid protected occlusion with anterior guidance."

I hope this additional information can help some one give me their informed opinion.

• CAT^
    Favorite Answer

Before the investment of time and $ on ortho, get an independent diagnosis. You needn't inform any of the dds that you a seeking a third opinion.

Hmmmm. If a tooth is out of alignment, facially displaced (protrudes or sticks out), it is prone to gum recession. This is because:

a) it takes the brunt of your toothbrush action

b) the gum tissue on the front of the tooth is stetched thin

The solution to a situation like that is:

a) gum graft, or

b) orthodontics to move the the tooth back and into alignment

(possibly followed by a graft if the gum level is not higher

after the ortho treatment)

I wish I knew the extent and degree of gum recession you have. I wish I knew if your occlusion is the singular most significant culprit for your recession, because there are NUMEROUS causes.

Just because your orthodontist agrees with the treatment plan does not mean that it is necessarily the BEST treatment plan. Dentists and specialists almost NEVER disagree with one another or contradict one another.

Best bet for your situation? Go for a consultation with another reputable dentist WITHOUT telling him/her what your dentist and orthodontist already told you.

Make sure you have a complete periodontal checkup with a hygienist because it is not unusual for someone your age to have gum and periodontal disease which are major contributors to gum recession. Incorrect brush technique is too so have her teach brush and floss technique. Like I said, there are MANY reasons for recession. You really want to nail down the LEADING cause of YOURS. Choosing the best treatment plan requires the most accurate diagnosis. In the end, it might actually be necessary to get into orthodontics.