Pregnancy test positive blood test negative?

I did a home pregnancy test this morning and it was a faint positive. i had a blood test yesterday and the results came back today negative the doctor did another urine test and also came back negative. What is the chances of being pregnant?

Best Answer

Chances are zero...home pregnancy tests are about 98% accurate as opposed to doctor office blood test which are 100% right!

If your blood test came back negative, it's probably because you aren't pregnant. The urine test that you saw the faint positive on probably wasn't a positive but more likely an evaporation line. Did you check the test before 10 minutes or was this line present after that? If your period is late, ask your doctor to perform some other tests to find out why. Good luck!

OK - you can get a false negative on a home pregnancy test but you cannot, CANNOT get a false positive.

the test reacts to a hormone that is ONLY produced when you are pregnant.

in addition, my sister in law had a pregnancy test at the doctors and it came back negative but it turned out she WAS pregnant. the doctor later reasoned that the blood test works best very early on in pregnancy and she was tested some way in (after getting a negative home test, but still assuming she was pregnant)

my suggestion is to go back to the doctors and have another test. let them know the home kit turned up a faint positive.

i think someone suggested that getting a faint positive home test and a negative blood test could mean that you've lost the pregnancy?? I would agree that that could be the case too.

Dear Nicole (and anyone else facing this).

I have had this problem, that is to say, that my pregnancy test NEVER came up positive (even after four months!) I thought I was just losing my waistline (a common problem for women of a particular age, ahem). But when I went in to get an ultrasound for an unrelated problem, we discovered a little boy nearly five months old looking back at us!! Imagine!!!

Anyway, it turns out, that it shows up (in my case) as a positive sign in a urine test, IF my baby is female. More likely it is because of the added female hormones in such a pregnancy. However, with my son, as I said, it never did come up positive. Even after I tried to take one at seven months pregnant, just to keep as a memento for the baby book. It was still mysteriously absent. Blood test is the only way to go. Now, if I were ever in the position to be pregnant again, I would simply go to the doctor for the blood test and not bother with the other. In short, YES, some of us do NOT respond to urine tests at ANY phase of pregnancy. >>SIGH<< if only it were simple.

Cheers and good luck!

H

It all depends on the detection limits of the tests. I think it is still highly likely that you may be pregnant. You say you had blood test yesterday, so HCG concentrations would be less than today's and I am assuming the HPT you did today was with you first morning urine (FMU - higest concetrations) and the urine test at the doctor was with urine from later in the day (lower concetrations). Do you get my point???

I think what you need to do is to buy another early detection HPT (such as First Response Early Result) and do it tomorrow morning with your FMU and see what you get. If it is negative wait a couple of days and try another HPT with your FMU. If and when you get another positive HPT take it along with you to the doctor and get him to give another blood test.

Goodluck and fingers crossed for you!

Source(s): 6 weeks pregnant with #1

I would say the chances are very slim. Blood tests are very accurate. I took a home pregnancy test that came up negative but still went to the doc. and had a blood test which came up positive so I would say their spot on

Slim. The blood test is the best test. Ask the doctor for an ultrasound if possible. People don't realize that around the time we're supposed to get our period, the body releases small amounts of the same hormone that it does when you're pregnant, giving a false positive.

None. Sometimes home test kits are contaminated. Rarely do they give a false positive. You may see a very slight colored line and interpret it as positive, espessially if you look at it long after you take it. The longer they sit the greater the chance of the colors bleeding together. If the blood test says no, then you are not pregnant.

Source(s): nurse, mother of 4

Very little. If the first was faint and all others are negative then it was probably a false positive. That's more common than a false negative. I'd wait a week and if you still don't get your period, test again or go for another blood test.

Pretty slim. Blood tests are supposed to be more accurate than urine test. Good luck!