promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

an 03 dodge ram 1500 has a panel in the middle of the dash that is textured. how can i tape off and paint it?

the doors have different textured panels and painters tape does fairly well sticking to the door panels i have already painted but i can't find any tape to stick to the dash to tape it off. i would take it apart but it looks like if i remove the center piece from the rest of the dash i wont be able to put it back together. I haven't even attempted to paint yet but i have a sneaking suspicion that the primer and paint wont stick to that textured piece.......it's frustrating. any solutions?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

try cleaning it off real good with a little rubbing alcohol and that will remove all the oils and protective agents that have been applied to it,that's probably why it wont stick to it,a cheaper masking tape will also stick to it,the tape your using is made to be removed real easy,cheaper tapes has a better stick compound on it,just remember and done leave it on very long,once its painted get it off ,i agree its lot of trouble to remove it,try cleaning it real good ,you should be able to get tape to stick long enough to paint it,good luck with it.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 37 yrs.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Also go to any paint store or Home Depot, they have a spray that you can use to cover it. Just tape off the painted parts first, spray it on and let it dry. Then paint your dash like want. When finished your insert can be peeled away very easily. It will act like a rubber glove. Most painters use this product when painting french doors and apply it to the glass so paint will not stick to glass.

• 1 decade ago

Ive got a ram 1500 as well. I think I know the piece your talking about. This might sound silly. Try and use a thin coat of elmers glue. Let it dry. Remember when you were younger and put it on your hands to dry and then it peeled off? This will do the same thing. It will act as a sort of laxet glove around the piece you want to paint. After the paint dries peel off the glue.

• 4 years ago

If you want a quick and inexpensive fix duck tape the pieces and cracks and glue a dash cover over it for about $29.95

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You have to clean the oils off of it. You have to use a lacquer thinner. Here is a link for you that will tell you everything.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if it aint broke dont fix it., unless you're making a show truck, it's best to leave it alone.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.