Suspected power surge...laptop fails to start up...is it a protection feature?

well i was browsing the web..when suddenly i could hear a faint "tap" sound from my dell laptop and it immediately shut down cold. note: it did not shut off the normal way..it just went off like that. i suspect its due to a power surge...however, my other stuft at home is working.. now what i want to... show more well i was browsing the web..when suddenly i could hear a faint "tap" sound from my dell laptop and it immediately shut down cold. note: it did not shut off the normal way..it just went off like that.
i suspect its due to a power surge...however, my other stuft at home is working..
now what i want to know is if the motherboard has been fried OR there is some kinda protection feature inside the laptop that is preventing it from booting up??
the AC adaptor and the battery are working fine. but the lappy just isnt starting up. it was not a major surge, nothing else happened to anything except this. the lights were flickering just a lil bit. so i dont think that something this minor could have caused the motherboard to get fried...
so is there any way i can check for myself what exactly is the problem???
thanks ..