Oracle help needed !?

I simply need to make a database in oracle. using my sql ? how can i download this ssoftware i jsut need some software to use at home to do my assignment.

Is it free to download? i dnt need no advanced stuff. oh yeah do i have to set up an oracle password and username what do i set as the local host etc? I need to make a database and neva new oracle was so complicated to deal with any help will be appreciated!

Favorite Answer

You can build your own Oracle database by downloading the software from the Oracle website.

All Oracle software is free to download, install and use for as long as you like for learning purposes.

I suggest you to download the latest version, which is 11g Release 1. If you want to install it on a WindowsXP computer for example go to http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products... and download the three zip files for:

1. Oracle Database 11g Release 1 (11.1.0.6.0) for Microsoft Windows (32-bit)

2. Oracle Database 11g Release 1 Client (11.1.0.6.0) for Microsoft Windows (32-bit)

3. Oracle Database 11g Examples (formerly Companion)

When you unzip the files you will find the documentation for the installations of the database server, client and examples - make sure to read the "quick install" first to get an understanding, then you can read the detailed "installation guide" if you want to learn more.

In any case the installation of the database server consists mainly of double clicking on an executable file, and press next, next, next, etc and you will probably get to a successful installation without any problem.

It is noteworthy that if your computer has already used certain ports which corresponds to Oracle defaults then you will have an error message during the installation - if you do not know what I am talking about just skip this paragraph, it is very likely that you will not have this problem, and if you do you can research it later, as it is not complex to fix.

The installation of the client, which will give you the SQL*PLUS application where you can write your SQL statements, is even less complicated - again double click the executable file, then follow the steps accepting the defaults.

I know that oracle 10G express edition is free.

It's better if you check http://www.oracle.com