Why do some peoples lips turn purple after drinking red wine, while others don't?

Favorite Answer

Haha! I bar tend & my ex-husbands lips have ALWAYS turned purple after drinking wine. But honestly I haven't seen anyone elses lips do that as badly as his! I'm curious to know why this happens also..

I don't think this has anything to do with who is drinking, but how they are drinking. Before I learned how to drink wine, my lips/teeth barely got stained either (gulping/chugging it), but once I learned how to taste it, my lips/teeth always end up stained beyond recognition after the 2nd or 3rd glass.

There might also be a varying degree of staining on the teeth because the tannins that make the wine dark will latch onto plaque, gross, I know.

The last factor, different glasses distribute wine to different places of your mouth. A wide rimmed red wine glass will distribute the wine at a wider amount so that it will touch more of your lips (this is so the wine gets distributed to the correct area of the tongue). The smaller rimmed glasses used for white wines force you to tilt the glass more, thus distributing the wine towards the back/sides of your tongue (where it is most sensitive to sweet) and bypasses more surface area of your lips.

Aside from that, there should be no difference as to why one person's lips get more stained than another aside from the different ways people drink wine (how they pucker when they sip etc).

Hope that helps :)

My dentist said that some people have a higher tendency to have a natural build up or coating on their teeth. This isn't plaque, it is the healthy coating we all get on our teeth. It is the soft coating that you can scratch off with your fingernail. Some people's layer is thicker and this stains more easily, which is why my teeth turn purple and my husbands don't. His recommendation was to brush my teeth gently before I drink wine (toothpaste and wine, yum!!) and they wouldn't stain as badly.

As far as the lips go, I think a lot of that has to do with the season, pourous nature of your lips, use of chapstick, and bad habits. My brother in law has a tendency to bit on his lips, which makes them have more pourous surface for wine to cling onto. He ends up having to take bleech and a cu-tip to them the next day. I find that in winter, my dryer cracked lips leads to worse staining.

Other than that, I would have to agree with the previous poster. I have noticed worse staining now that I savor each wine sip longer and drink it the way it was intended vs is gulping it to the back of my palate.

Oh and...

the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning, he who controls the spice, controls the universe

That too!!