lktt4 asked in TravelAsia PacificPhilippines · 1 decade ago

im a USA citizen going to stay for a while in philippines.,i want to open a bank account,?

will they ask me for my social security number from usa?

• Bill O
    Best Answer

You can open up an account through ChinaBank you just need your passport and one more picture ID, If your staying in Cebu I can help you.

Bill

Moving to the Philippines Yahoo Group “Join FREE”

http://asia.groups.yahoo.com/group/movingtothephil...

They will not ask for your ss number . You may be able to get an account in Manila at Metro bank without too much problem , try two or three branches as each one will give you a different answer . If you know someone with an account it helps . You will find this to be true in just about everthing you do in Philippines .

My friend, who is a US citizen like you, opened a bank account recently. The only account you can open is a savings account. They will ask for your US passport and another identification card like driver's license or California I.D. If you have these, you don't need a social security number anymore.

The law may e that you need the Residents Certificate, but it is not enforced. I have four accounts at PNB and they did have never ask for anything except Passport and another picture I.D. and two photos. I belong to an organization for expatriates and we have discussed this many times. A few have had problems, but all have gotten bank accounts.

Most banks in the Philippines only accept bank accounts from locals (residents). You might have a hard time looking for a bank here that might accept you. Unless your bank in the States extends the account here - like if you're with Citybank or HSBC - international banks might be able to help you in this regard. But take note - banks here - international or local will not dispense dollars in ATMs unless you do it over the counter with your bank or an affiliate of your bank. Good luck and Happy New Year.

If you have foreign bank accounts with $10,000 or more in them, don't forget to file form TD F 90-22.1 each year.

The first thing they will ask for is a visa and another photo I.D.

They will also require your SSN.

The only exceptiopn I know of is Chinabank.

Source(s): Lived in Iloilo since 2002.
  • ken

Try Citibank. They won't ask for your SS number. Just a couple of valid ID's.

Before you can open an account,you need to apply first for Alien residency.That's the first thing they will ask from you.

I don't know about your social securty no. but i think they will ask if you have an Alien Certificate of Registration at the Bureau of Immigration and other pertinent data.