Ben asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 decade ago

Does Shutter Count Matter?

I am interested in buying a used Digital SLR, maybe a Canon Rebel or a Nikon D70 and I was curious as whether or not shutter count is a good indicator of anything. What is considered a high shutter count? Is it a good indicator of the condition of the camera? I'm trying my best to get a good used SLR at a decent price. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I guess the camera keeps track of hoe many times the shutter closes, I was looking at one ebay auction and it said the shutter count was 23,000. I'm a huge novice when it comes to Digital SLRs, I'm learning as best I can. :-P

• What?
    Favorite Answer

Generally, a lower number of shutter actuations is more desirable when purchasing a second-hand dSLR. For budget range dSLRs, advertised life expectancy is usually 100,000 actuations but 50,000 to 100,000 releases is more realistic. It certainly plays a large role when purchasing relatively new equipment (should be fewer than a few thousand) but you should expect less as camera models grow older. I've read 20D owner reports of dead shutters around 5x,xxx shots (time-lapse photographers). Regardless, you should definitely ask the seller and take it into account; shutter replacement often exceeds the worth of the camera itself.

In your case, in a bad case scenario, that camera has already exceeded half of its life. But think of it this way: are you or will you be an avid photographer? You'd need to take 24 photos a day (1 roll) for over 2.5 years to accumulate the other 23,000. That's a lot of photos -- it's something you've got to think about when buying used digital.

Shutter counts are similar to mileage on a car - only no matter how much you baby a camera, the higher the shutter count, the more likely it is to fail.

Most new DSLRs, from the consumer level all the way through the pro end, are rated at least at 100,000 cycles (some as high as 200-250K); the cameras you're looking at were rated at 50,000, give or take, and most of the time (though not always), the shutter will outlast that estimate.

Buying one with 23,000 on the shutter count wouldn't be necessarily a bad idea or a good idea - at worst, you'd have the shutter break earlier than you expect, and you can get that repaired. On the low end, if nothing else goes wrong, you're only looking at a $200-250 repair bill. At best, you'll use the camera until it doesn't fit what you need any more, and the shutter will still be snapping until the end of its useful life.

Shutter Count

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axEsu

A prosumer camera is a high end DSLR. That is not a prosumer camera - it's a bridge camera. Shutter count is only important where you have an actual, physical focal plane shutter (ie in a DSLR), because it is a physical mechanism that can wear out. In bridge cameras & compacts, the 'shutter' is not physical - it's an electronic shutter. The sensor switches on/off during the exposure. As there is no physical parts to wear out, shutter count is irrelevant.

I wouldn't actually worry too much about the camera shutter count. I know the cameras take a bunch of pictures. 23,000 sounds like a very small number to me. In a lot eBay auctions, the shutter count is never mentioned. Frankly, I never really cared or paid that much attention and I have bought several digital cameras on eBay with great success. The way I figure it is if the camera has worked to 23,000 pictures it will probably continue working for a long long time. If there are any real shutter problems the camera would have failed long ago.

Source(s): d5canon Bill Goddard William Goddard Photography http://www.goddardimages.com

yes. shutter count do matter when ur buyin a second hand dslr. it is a good indication if the camera hav been well used or is in a relatively unused.

shutter count above 50k is considered to be well used. one also mus look a the condi of the camera. eg. peelin of the grip, if the internal flash is workin. ani dents or signs of the camera being abuse.

but hey, dun worri to much. if the shutter does giv up on u. u can jus changed it at ur nearest service centre for a small sum.

hope tat helps.

• EDWIN

Ben, I've no idea what the camera you're looking at on ebay is going for. I do know, though, that you can probably buy a Sony A100 or Pentax K100D Super with lens brand new for under $600.00. Probably way under since newer models have been released.

I've never heard of shutter count. What are you referring to?

tricky problem. browse with yahoo or google. this can assist!