Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Are there any good "advanced" books on Wicca?

Favorite Answer

Well, a few people already mentioned the books and authors I was going to recommend, but I want to make a few comments. When you are getting into "advanced" Wiccan studies, I wouldn't limit yourself to specifically Wiccan books. Read the books and authors that influenced and inspired Wicca, as well as history, mythology, psychology, and anthropology -- all of these subjects give you a deeper understanding of Magick and ritual. Also, dig up some older books if you can find them. The previous generation had a bit of a different take on these things.

I like _Bonewits' Complete Guide to Wicca and Wtichcraft_, by Isaac Bonewits. His _Real Magic_ is also an excellent book to read for magickal theory. Isaac actually is Wiccan, as well as being a Druid -- I think he's a 3rd degree Gardnerian. As a matter of fact, he used to be married to Deborah Lipp.

I also like the Farrars. They're considered "advanced" now, but when those books came out, they were 101. I put Doreen Valiente on the same level. Her books are always worth the read. Valiente actually helped Gardner develope the Wiccan rituals.

Read Gardner -- _High Magic's Aid_, _Witchcraft Today_, _The Meaning of Witchcraft_. These are the books that started the Craft. Sadly, they are all too often ignored. Read Crowley as well -- while he wasn't Wiccan by today's standards, there is some speculation that he helped (or at least encouraged) Gardner to start Wicca. At the very least, most of Gardner's rituals contain some passages from Crowley.

Read books on Neopagan history -- Margot Adler's _Drawing Down the Moon_, T. M. Luhrmann's _Persuasions of the Witch's Craft_, and Ronald Hutton's _The Triumph of the Moon_.

Read the books that inspired Wicca -- _The Key of Solomon_, Crowley's _Book of the Law_, Leland's _Aradia_, Margaret Murray's _A Witch Cult in Western Europe_, Robert Graves' _The White Goddess_. Also, study the mythology of the Celts, Norse, Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, and Sumerians.

Read Anthropology and Comparative Religion, particularly _The Rites of Passage_, by Arnold Van Gennep, _The Ritual Process_, by Victor Turner, _Shamanism, Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy, by Mircea Eliade, _Hero with a Thousand Faces_, Joseph Campbell, and just about anything by Carl Jung.

And, while it is true that study should not replace practice, your practice can and will be enhanced through scholarship.

Source(s): I've been at this a while

Getting your hands on good books can be difficult.Most authors are out to make a profit and could not care less about the readers.

A good book I have found useful is called "Write Your Own Magic" by Richard Webster. This book helps you to create your own magick instead of going by someone else's recipe.It is great for a tansition considering spells are just the visual for your mind and energy to manifest.

If you are into fortune telling at all, a good book is "The Palmistry Encyclopedia" by Rhoda Hamilton.

To learn more about Wicca you would want to look up Gerald Gardner and start your history lessons and even though he has a bad rep, Crowley layed much of the foundation of "Magick" that we know today.Try searching the Golden Dawn.

Another good author in my opinion is Raymond Buckland.

Good luck to you.

Blessed Be

As some have said, there are too many good books to mention here that you could go to, but as still others have suggested, finding a teaching coven in a traditional or eclectic path is extremely highly recommended.

Books can only "teach" so much.

Books cannot answer questions about things on which they are unclear, so finding a qualified teacher is paramount.

That teacher can suggest the best books to get to help you on the path.

Start your search for a teacher at the local metaphysics bookstore or on www.witchvox.com. Witchvox has a directory of covens and ways to contact their High Priestess and/or High Priest.

However, if you are under 18, don't expect a coven to come running to let you in.

Not many decent covens will have a member who is under 18, and any good ones that will, will require your parents/guardians to have full and complete knowledge of the coven as well as it's conduct and will require permission from your parents/guardians before they will even interview you for their coven.

Assuming that you are over 18, then when a High Priest and High Priestess interviews you, they are not just seeing if you are right for the coven, but also giving you the chance to see if the coven is right for you. If they reject you, it is rarely personal.

More often than not a coven rejects someone because their energies won't mix well with the coven, in which case they will recommend a different coven for you and that coven will be put in contact with you.

Tahuti, the ADVANCED stuff is RARELY written in books. Most books tend to be introductory and there's a reason for that. After you have become familiar with the basics, you advanced training is usually done in a teacher-student relationship OR in a supplicant-Diety relationship. The intro books give you the buildng blockx so that you are able to figure out how to do everything one your own from that point on. The most important thing that you need to learn from the intro books is HOW to form a relationship with God(ess) (in a solitary situation, at least). They will do the REST of your education directly to your mind. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to filter out the "noise" from the things that God(ess0 is trying to impart to you but, once you have learned it. you'll find yourself porogressing at a rate you NEVER even imagined. Some GOOD advanced meditation techniques can be found in Christopher Penczak's Temple of Wicca series BUT, use them ONLY as a guide and try not to get stuck in the trivia of his methods. Once you unlock the doorways to the various areas of your inner spirit, you can readily find anythng and everything that you will ever want to learn and know. That is essentially what any teacher that you'd find would do for you as well, and maybe give you a bit more one-on-one practice with some techniques.

Brightest Blessings,

Raji the Green Witch

Its very hard to find them, although in the last few years more authors have been trying. In my experience, advanced books are rare for two main reasons:

Getting beyond the basics means a lot of deep thought, and the major publishers want "how-to" books because that is what sells. The sad fact is that most people looking for books on Wicca want a quick and easy path to cosic power and understanding.

I've tried writing more advanced material, and I find its really hard to write any sort of guide at that level that addresses anything as widespread as the concept of "Wicca." Once you're beyond the basics, you're talking paths to personal understanding...and my personal understanding isn't going to be the same as the next person's. In short, if you're going to write an "advanced" book, it's going to be on some aspect of Wiccan practice, not on all of Wicca...and the information may not even be specific to Wicca. I think Frater UD's book High Magic is great and found it hugely helpful, for example, but it's only on magic and its not even from a Wiccan perspective. For another example, in another question you commented "I think I'll look for a good advanced book on Wicca... maybe "Real Magic" by Isaac Bonewits." Bonewits isn't Wiccan! He's a Druid. But his books are definitely useful for us regardless.

Deborah Lipp's Elements of Ritual gets way deeper than most books out there. I'm tempted to call it advanced because of that, even though I recommend it to near begineers, because its addressing some very basic concepts that simply don't get nearly as much coverage as they should.

Yes, there are. I could list many here, but the last time I did that, the Yahoo Answers Team considered my answer as "solicitation".

You can either Yahoo or Google search for books on advanced Wicca. If you search in Amazon, read the buyers reviews. It will help you to know a little about the books before you buy them.

No.

Wicca is an experiential path and after the "101" type books, you need to develop it on your own or with your coven.

If you want some good reading on more advanced spiritual topics (that may or may not relate to Wicca) ... I suggest:

Masks of God: Vol. I - IV Joseph Campbell

Tao Te Ching - Lao Tsu (I like Stephen Mitchell's translation)

Triumph of the Moon - this is a GREAT foundation for the history of mordern paganism - particuarly Wicca.

And as much mythology as you can find; the Norse Eddas, the Bible, the Ramayana, Arthurian legend, all of it is good.

Not so much. There are lots of books claiming to be advanced but they generally disappoint. Once you get past the basics people find their practice leads them to seek out books on specific subjects which may or may not be considered "advanced". You can learn a lot from others, you can learn a lot from your own practice, you can learn a lot from reading books outside of Wicca. For example, since I'm a coven leader I read a lot of books on subjects such as group dynamics, adult learning and psychology. Currently I'm finding myself reading a lot of books on the subjects of certain types of history, Qabala, and folklore because those subjects are of interest to me.

If you are past the basics, there are a few books I might recommend on some subjects - they are not necessarily advanced, but they are specific.

Wiccan History - Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton

Ritual Design - Elements of Ritual by Deborah Lipp

Wiccan Ethics - When, Why, If... by Robin Wood

Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig (good intro to more ceremonial type magic)

What's Your Wicca IQ? by Laura Wildman - not really a read, but a series of multiple choice questions to test your knowledge and the answers are explained in the back so you will learn something.

Also if you haven't already read them, read Valiente, read Gardner, read the Farrars, read Crowley, read Fortune (I really don't like putting the Farrars in the same sentence there, but a lot of people skip them first time around). You won't like everything they say but you'll learn at the very least to be more discriminating and to solidify some of your views.

There are gems hidden in Wicca 101 books, so you could continue reading them. However, I really suggest you set down the literature. There is so much more to Wicca than that...

• Witchy

You could look for a local mentor or a coven/circle.

There are many different areas that you can explore. You could study in depth the history of Wicca. Although I've never been a Wiccan, I find it interesting to read about the life of Gerald Gardner--his books are very interesting too. Other individuals that you could learn about are Doreen Valiente, Alex Sanders, Victor Anderson, Marion Weinstein, Leo Martello, Isaac Bonewits, Patricia Crowther, or Aleister Crowley. There are many different traditions of Wicca--you could carefully and objectively study to learn about them. Even if they aren't your cup of tea, your understanding will deepen.

You could look to books on history and archeology to learn about the places where your deities were once worshiped. What were the cultures of the peoples who once worshiped Them and which time periods were They worshiped by the most people? What archaeological evidence has been found from their places of worship? You could also look for translations (rather than re-tellings) of the myths about your deities. You could research folktales in the areas where your deities were once worshiped to gain a better connection to your deities and the peoples who once worshiped Them.

I'm not sure in which area you would want to progress. You could study a particular field in depth--like a divination technique, or different mediation techniques. For a more in-depth study of ritual, I like "The Elements of Ritual" by Deborah Lipp. Although I don't agree with everything in the book, it was a wonderful tool to help me explore the reasons why I do certain things in rituals. Since there are elements of ceremonial magic in many pagan paths, you could learn more about it through organizations like the Golden Dawn.