Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Ebenezer Scrooge "The Christmas Carol"?

In the story "The Christmas Carol" is Ebenezer Scrooge the protagonist or the antagonist?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

He's the protagonist because he is the main character. Just because he isn't a nice guy doesn't mean he's the antagonist.

• ck1
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I would have said that Ebenezer Scrooge is both protagonist and antagonist, because it's basically the struggle between the man he has become and the man he once was and should be. The conflict is an internal one. (He's the protagonist because he's the main character in the book. He's the antagonist because HE offers the opposition to himself; those two separate natures of his are adversaries to each other, if that makes sense.)

Source(s): my opinion...
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, he is - that is to say, he's both:

"Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, we find the curmudgeonly character Scrooge going home to spend another Christmas alone. Only through the supernatural visits of the ghost of his old partner and the three spirits of Christmas is he able to reconnect with his fellow man and learn the joys of a generous heart. This tale takes Scrooge from being the antagonist to the protagonist in his own story, making it a classic of Victorian literature."

and please see the 2nd link (a Google book, which can't be cut and pasted), which says the Protagonist is Scrooge and the Antagonist is Scrooge's own crabbed nature.

• gale s
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

He is the protagonist with an antagonistic personality.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In literature, the antagonist is that against which the main character or protagonist contends.

(wikipedia)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Antagonist, but becomes the protagonist at the end.

• KJC
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

i believe that he is the protagonist because he is the main character. like your other answerer said, it's not based on whether he was likable or not, but on his role in the story, and in this case his is the main role.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.