Publishing question!?

I have been writing short stories and want to publish them.

Does anyone know a company that publishes short stories????

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

All right this may not look like the answer to your question, but take it from someone who has written some books himself... You should try to get an agent.

There are thousands of publishers around that publish stories and there are lists of publishers online, *HOWEVER* my advice is, Do NOT just send your stories off to a publisher. Get an agent...

Why ? Because a good agent already deals with publishers on a daily basis and can ring up some friend in the publishing biz, and say, "Hey, Charley, I have an absolute GEM, you just HAVE to see. I wanted to give you a chance at it, before someone else snatches it up... This could make us ALL rich. ---Okay, I'm sending it over right now by courier. Let me know if you are as thrilled with this as I am."

You would practically have it sold before the publisher even reads it...!

Now, some new authors may say, "If I am only getting a certain amount for my book, why should I give part of it to an agent?" --Because the agent will get you MORE money than you could ever have hoped for as an unknown author.

Would you rather *possibly* sell your book for $10,000 or give an agent 15 or even 20 percent of, say, $50,000 ? (Meaning you get a check for $40,000 or more...)

It's what they call a 'no-brainer', really.

See the importance of an agent?

--and that is only part of it. Agencies can help you spruce up a book or story to make it better. Publishing houses don't do that... --They just accept it or reject it, and don't tell you why not.

Almost *always* they will reject a story from an unknown author, unless it comes from an agent!

You will get rejection slips saying your story "...Does not meet our publishing requirements at this time", with no further explanation.

Ok, so here are a couple agents’ lists, to help you locate an agent instead of a publisher:

. . . . . . . . the GOOD . . . . . . . .

http://www.agentquery.com/

http://www.aar-online.org/mc/directory/simplesearc...

I should also mention that there are some things to watch out for. Just as you have to watch out for the hype from "vanity publishers", you also have to watch out for unscrupulous agents, who look like the real thing, but are really rip-off artists asking you for money up front. Real agents get their money from a commission on the sale of the book.

. . . . . . . . the BAD and the UGLY . . . . . . . .

Here is the top-20 to watch out for:

URL of the list - http://www.sfwa.org/beware/twentyworst.html

and their current list is:

The Abacus Group Literary Agency

Allred and Allred Literary Agents

Barbara Bauer Literary Agency

Benedict Associates (also d/b/a B.A. Literary Agency)

Sherwood Broome, Inc. (also d/b/a Stillwater Literary Agency, LLC)

Capital Literary Agency (formerly American Literary Agents of Washington, Inc.; also d/b/a Washington Agency and Washington Literary Agency)

Desert Rose Literary Agency

Arthur Fleming Associates

Finesse Literary Agency (also d/b/a/ Elite Finesse Literary Agency)

Brock Gannon Literary Agency

Harris Literary Agency

Martin-McLean Literary Associates

Mocknick Productions Literary Agency, Inc.

B.K. Nelson, Inc.

The Robins Agency (Cris Robins)

Michele Glance Rooney Literary Agency (also d/b/a Creative Literary Agency, Creative Concepts Literary Agency, Simply Nonfiction, and May Writers' Group)

Southeast Literary Agency

Mark Sullivan Associates (also d/b/a New York Editors and Manhattan Literary)

West Coast Literary Associates (also d/b/a California Literary Services)

***Writers' Literary Agency & Marketing Company (a.k.a. WL Writers' Literary Agency), formerly The Literary Agency Group, which includes the following:

-Christian Literary Agency

-New York Literary Agency

-Stylus Literary Agency (formerly ST Literary Agency, formerly Sydra-Techniques)

-WL Children's Agency (a.k.a. Children's Literary Agency)

-WL Poet's Agency (a.k.a. Poet's Literary Agency)

-WL Screenplay Agency (a.k.a. The Screenplay Agency)

-Writers' Literary & Publishing Services Company (the editing arm of the above-mentioned agencies)

***This one is perhaps the most notorious. They actually come up at the top of a Google search for writer's agents! [ Remember, that does not mean they are the best, but that they know how to influence the Google search engine with their Meta-tags and content words. ]

There is also Predators and Editors at http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/

Goodness... Looks like another thousand-word answer to a question... Hoping you get the picture. [As in 'a picture is worth 1000 words'.]

(One of those things I do when I *should* be working on my *own* current book -<grins>.)

• 1 decade ago

Most authors who publish book-length collections of short stories start by publishing individual stories in magazines. You can look in the book "Writer's Market" (your library probably has a copy) for information on the many magazines that publish short fiction.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Magazines. Fair size market for them.

Also rags if it's genre like mystery or sci fi

Mike Shane

Alfred Hitchcock

Asimov

Amazing

General first time pay is sample copies or 5 cents a word

Typically $35

Avoid the majors, they are agent only (Cosmo, Playboy and a few others, GQ, Maxim, Esquire)

Seventeen can be resceptive at times even though they are a major.

Double space, single sided 1" margings, your copyright notice at top, first serial rights at top, number of words at top, not stapled (paper clip ok), sent unfolded in 9x12 manilla with more than enough postage, to the Associate Editor

Enclose #10 SASE so they can send you your check.

Go get a copy of 2008 Writer's Marketplace or even a used 2007 at the thrift store, there's usually not too many changes.

• 3 years ago

i think of that we ought to consistently not in basic terms be conversing approximately teen's Getting revealed here, i think of we ought to consistently introduce the subject count of undesirable Writers Getting revealed in particular. for sure I agree that childrens usually don't have sufficient existence adventure to jot down a suited e book. yet there are various revealed authors (i exploit authors loosely) who're lacking that existence experiance additionally (i don't care what you're saying, some childrens bypass by way of lots worse than maximum adults do). There are childrens i know (because of the fact i'm a teen author - i exploit author loosely - myself) who desire to get revealed and can't sort a suited sentence, yet there are additionally adults who can not write appropriate the two. Now, enable's think of a teen does write a e book that's astonishing, at the same time as an grownup writes one that's the two astonishing. the two manuscripts are presented to a writer, who can in basic terms pick one. Who do you think of gets revealed? The writer would have the impression that the teen's is worse because of the fact they're a teen. The writer would be biased over age and the grownup's e book would be in shops by way of the subsequent month. it fairly is a quite a procedures fetched tale, yet while high quality is seen and the e book is superb, that's what's maximum possibly to ensue. i'm thoroughly agreeing with you that maximum teen writers are not experienced sufficient to jot down a stunning novel. nevertheless, you're being biased by way of announcing that for the duration of basic terms childrens are lacking the existence experiance and are not experienced sufficient to be authors.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

iUniverse, Inc. 1-800-authors ext. 504 has a perhaps-attractive process.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you can always submit them to magazines or literary journals. It's a way to build up your resume.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.