Learning to speak Tagalog/Philippine language?

I really want to learn some basic words in Tagalog...I believe that is the main language spoke in Philippines..if not please correct me. Would anyone be willing to email/chat with me to give me some basic words in that language as well as what they are in english so I could learn them? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

example: how do you say:

how are you? hello? goodbye? have a nice day? just simple everyday things like that.

the reason I am interested in learning some is that my brother in law and father in law both married ladies from the Philippines (Cebu) and I would like to surprise them by learning some basics to greet them in their language. I thought it would be a nice gesture for them from me :)

thank you Michaella! my email is perfectsweetbeauty@yahoo.com if you want it....I wanted to do something for them, mainly my new mother in law because she will be here a year in March so this was her first Christmas away from her family and she was a little sad so I thought if I could say hello to her and things like that in her language it would make her feel better...oh and my sis in law will be here 2 years in April

Favorite Answer

we don't call our national language Tagalog anymore, as a respect to our brothers with diff dialect, but yes, the language is mostly based in Tagalog.. only few words from the other dialects are being used..

how are you-- Kamusta ka? or Kamusta ka na?

Hello-- you can say hello, or kamusta, bec there is no equivalent word for that.

goodbye-- Paalam. or Paalam na

Have a nice day-- literally, it can be transalated as

'Magkaroon ka ng magandang araw' or 'Maging maganda araw mo'

but these two are very formal, and is not commonly used in everyday conversations.. you can use 'magandang araw' or 'magandang araw sa iyo' instead.. (though it is usually used as an opening greeting like hello in english, but you can also use it as a parting greeting..)

why are you interested anyway in our language anyway?hehe hope you'll enjoy learning! ;)

add'l:

that's very sweet of you..

if they're from Cebu, they have a different dialect, but ofcouse they can also speak tagalog.. here are the few Cebuano greetings i can remember:

Good morning-- "maayong buntag"

Good day-- " maayong adlaw"

Good evening-- "maayong gabii"

i love you-- "gihigugma taka" or "gihigugma kita"

Delicious-- "Nami"

Very delicious-- "nami gid"

here is a site you might be interested in:

http://www.freewebs.com/nidans/learncebuano1.htm

Hello! the same

Goodbye Paalam

Good Morning Magandang Umaga/ Magandang Tanghali

Good Afternoon Magandang Hapon

Good Evening Magandang Gabi

How are you Kumusta (you can add ka)

Have a nice day ??? I dont Know sorry!

Thats all folks.

• Juan C

here are some basic phrases and words...

these are not very formal, but are accepted generally...

add 'po' somewhere at the end of each phrase / word as a sign of respect (especially when you're talking with the elderly or your boss, etc)

you can also add "sa'yo"(general use) or "sa inyo"(sign of respect or for big numbers of people) that means "to you"...

for example... Magandang umaga sa'yo ---> Good morning to you / Magandang umaga sa inyo ---> Good morning to ya'll

Good morning- Magandang umaga (po)

Good afternoon- Magandang hapon (po)

Good evening- Magandang gabi (po)

Good day- Magandang araw (po)

Hi /Hello- (the same thing)

Good bye- Paalam (na)

How are you- Kumusta (po) / Kumusta ka

I'm good/ I'm fine /I'm okay- Maayos lang (po) ako / Mabuti(po)

Thank you- Salamat (po)

Than you very much- Maraming salamat (po)

You are welcome- Walang anuman

No- Hindi (po)

Yes- Oo(general) / Opo(sign for respect)

When- Kailan

Where- Saan

What- Ano

Who- Sino

Why- Bakit

Tomorrow- Bukas

Today- Ngayon

Let's go- Tara na/ Alis na tayo

Sunday- Linggo

Monday- Lunes

Tuesday- Martes

Wednesday- Miyerkoles

Thrusday- Huwebes

Firday- Biyernes

Saturday- Sabado

What time is it- Anong oras na

What day is it- Anong araw na

Delicious- Masarap

Eat- Kain

Drink- Inum

Seat down- Upo ka / Upo

Take care (always)- Ingat (lagi)

Beautiful- Maganda

Ugly- Pangit

if you're telling they're from Cebu, then they speak different dialect-- Cebuano... but I believe they can speak Tagalog as well,,,

How are you? ---- "kamusta ka?" OR "kamusta ka na?" OR simply, "kamusta?"

Hello ---------------- "hello" also OR "hi" OR a simple smile and slight nod of the head to acknowledge someone's presence.

Have a nice day -- as far as I know, there is simply no direct translation in conversational Tagalog for this phrase. You can say "sige ... ingat ka lang" (OK ... take care).

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi Girl!

How are you ==> KUMUSTA KA NA?

Goodbye ==> PAALAM

Have a nice day ==> Maging maganda ang araw mo!

if u i can help u feel free to ask...

take care=>INGAT godbless=>patnubayan ka ng dios....

i think you are great in trying to learn tagalog for your in laws/relatives wives.

• hey!!! i can teach you my language, just get in touch with me via 360 degrees

see yah!!

not exactly what you're lookig for but this one is agreat help

http://www.tagaloglang.com/links.htm