Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why is the divorce rates highest in the "bible belt," and lowest in irreligious Massachusetts?

Note: I'm a pagan, so I could care less about Divorce, and don't consider it a sin, but why, in states where it's most considered a sin, is it most rampant?

Update:

Source:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0923080.html

Massachusetts is at 2.2

Arkansas is at 6.3 (and that down from 6.6!)

Idaho 5.1

Wyoming 5.3

etc...

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Red states have more divorce, violent crime, abortion and rape per capita. They also get more tax dollars per capita.

Blue states pay more in taxes and have higher education and general standards of living.

Here's some sources:

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2006/1...

http://www.logcabin.org/lef/divorce_rates_higher_i...

http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/Blue_States_Red_Sta...

http://www.annistonstar.com/opinion/2006/as-editor...

http://www.oregonherald.com/n/radicalruss/20041212...

Now, a laugh:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/jokes/bljo...

Dear Red States:

We're ticked off at the way you've treated California and we've decided we're leaving.

We intend to form our own country and we're taking the other Blue States with us.

In case you aren't aware that includes Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and all the Northeast.

We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation and especially to the people of the new country of New California.

To sum up briefly:

You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states.

We get stem cell research and the best beaches.

We get Elliot Spitzer. You get Ken Lay.

We get the Statue of Liberty. You get OpryLand.

We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom.

We get Harvard. You get Ole' Miss.

We get 85 percent of America's venture capital and entrepreneurs.

You get Alabama.

We get two-thirds of the tax revenue. You get to make the red states

pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian Coalition's we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single moms.

Please be aware that Nuevo California will be pro choice and anti war and we're going to want all our citizens back from Iraq at once. If you need people to fight ask your evangelicals. They have kids they're apparently willing to send to their deaths for no purpose and they don't care if you don't show pictures of their children's caskets coming home.

We wish you success in Iraq and hope that the WMDs turn up but we're not willing to spend our resources in Bush's Quagmire.

With the Blue States in hand we will have firm control of 80% of the country's fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92% of the nation's fresh fruit, 95% of America's quality wines (you can serve French wines at state dinners) 90% of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the US low sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools plus Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT.

With the Red States you will have to cope with 88% of all obese Americans and their projected health care costs, 92% of all US mosquitoes, nearly 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes, 99% of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush

Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.

38% of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62% believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 44% say that evolution is only a theory, 53% that Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61% of you crazy bastards believe you are people with higher morals then we lefties.

We're taking the good pot too. You can have that dirt weed they grow in Mexico.

Sincerely,

Author Unknown in New California.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Very interesting question...what statistics back up your statement proving that divorce rates are highest in the "bible belt" and lowest in Massachusetts?

I don't have anything to base this on, but if all factors of your statement are factual--the divorce rate is highest in the bible belt, lowest in Massachusetts, and Massachusetts is predominantly irreligious, then perhaps the divorce rate is higher because a higher number of people choose to marry in the bible belt. If Massachusetts can be classified as 'irreligious' then it is likely that more people would bypass traditional marriage in Massachusetts than in the bible belt since marriage is deeply rooted as a religious covenant between two people.

Hence, greater number of population in the bible belt who follow religious tradition marry, then the numbers would also appear greater for the bible belt's overall divorce rate. There could be an equal or greater number of couples "splitting up" in Massachusetts that were not married in the first place, so their total divorce rate might not seem as high.

• 1 decade ago

Does the MA divorce rate include gay couples?

It's possible, if it does, that the inclusion of gay couples in MA has increased the marriage rate without any significant bump in the divorce rate. (Anyone willing to move to Massachusetts to get married, and stay there, is pretty committed. I'd expect a low divorce rate among gay couples, at least at the beginning, since the most committed would be the ones you'd see first.)

Alternatively, it could be because more MA couples are cohabiting before getting married, or breaking up without ever having been married in the first place.

• Shossi
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The Bible Belt (Southern Baptists mostly) treat their women as second class citizens------''the pregnant, barefoot, and walking three steps behind'' concept. Often the women will take no more of it, and they leave.

In Massachusetts, women are treated as equals, and do not have so many reasons to leave.

Added statement on the subject of the Bible Belt.......

I have read several times that Billy Graham's daughter is the born preacher, so much better than her brother, Franklin. But, since she is a woman, she cannot take over the

ministry. How sad to let a talent waste.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Because Massachusetts, along with Rhode Island, is extremely Catholic and they don't believe in divorce. They just beat their wives and drink a whole lot up there.

Down south, you don't have to stay married, but you do have to BE married. Folks down there often get married 4 or 5 times.

Who the heck told you that Massachusetts was irreligious???

Source(s): New Englander
  • 1 decade ago

Don't know that the divorce rate is tied to religion or not. Since Bible Belt states consistantly rank lowest in public education, I would say intelligence might play a role. Come to think of it, maybe there is a tie in.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

As a Kentucky resident, i will say that Kentucky, Mississippi and Arkansas have many greater homosexuals than different states. The extreme sort of homosexuals giving off 'gay rays' that incredibly breakdown classic society and marriages has, for sure, bring about the inflated divorce expenditures. We tried shifting them to California yet greater of them seem to born widespread. I recommend what's a cow to do?

• 1 decade ago

Listen to a Larry the Cable Guy CD, full of some good ol' fashioned "cousin marrying" humor :-)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its no suprise the divorce rate is so high in the Bible belt - you know hard it is to get on with your siblings.

• 1 decade ago

If this is infact the case, I would say probably because a much higher percent of people feel they should get married in the Bible Belt, whereas in Mass(where I live) most people seem content to stay unmarried and live immoral lifestyles.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.