Favorite misunderstood "love" songs?

... and by favorite, I mean the ones that leave you laughing hysterically when some star-eyed tweenaged girl dedicates the song to her boyfriend or it's used as a wedding song.

My favorite: "More Than Words" by Extreme

I can't count how many times I've seen chicks just go all ga-ga over this song, but if you listen to the lyrics, the guy is basically saying "f*ck me or leave".

Cat: That's the first time I've heard that one. Hmmmm. *Makes mental note to listen to Please, Please Me after lunch.*

Best Answer

Please, Please Me by The Beatles. This song is about oral sex but most people don't know what the heck this song is all about.

*Edit: this is from wikipedia to back up my point:

"Please Please Me" is cited as the "first real oral sex pop song" in Tim Riley's 1999 book about the Beatles' discography. He credits two Beatles-era writers for the first such observation, Robert Christgau, and John Piccarella. Riley also notes the lyric's (call and responses) "c'mon, c'mon," and points out the song "closes the side [of the album] ignoring the conventional practice of putting the hit up front, and fleshing out the album with weaker material.

Saving All My Love For You-Whitney Houston

It's about a woman having an affair with a married man. Not exactly something appropriate for a wedding, yet many couples have it for their first dance song.

Also- I Will Always Love You, also by Whitney Houston. If you listen to the lyrics, it's actually a song about breaking up.

• GK Dub

Several people pointed out "Every Breath You Take" by The Police, which is probably the most misunderstood song in recent history.

Another one is "I Will Buy You A New Life" by Everclear. I've heard so many newly-wed women talk about how this song reminds them of their husband. First off, the song is about getting wiped out in a divorce and paying for his ex's new life. Second, how superficial do you have to be to think a song is romantic because it's about buying somebody stuff?

Magnetic Fields - I Shatter

Misunderstood because this is a "love song" about someone incapable of love.

The lyrics of the song and the arrangment really convey this...

http://profile.imeem.com/PQ6EQkc/blogs/2008/01/02/... Push Play :-)

Rckets - Love You to Death is quite romantic, lol.

What comes to mind is Porcupine Tree's Lazarus (which is about a child or something), and Radiohead's Lucky (which Thom stated /could/ be interpretted as a love song ... ), random Radiohead songs, where 1 line in the song is 'sweet'.

More of just a note, it's not a misunderstood love song, but with the setting it kind of applies. I will never understand why "I Will Survive" is a staple wedding tune. The song is about surviving a divorce and getting back on your feet. There are plenty of dancey party tunes, but somehow this one plays at most weddings. I'm particularly bitter because I would honestly rather listen to my teeth being drilled than that song and I have been to many weddings. I cringe every time.

The first one that comes to mind and I'm sure will be mentioned is the Every Breath You Take one. About stalking somebody, but it's one of those lovey staples somehow.

REM - The One I Love

The only song with the word "love" in the title by this Atlanta-based band is not about the positive aspect of it. The line "A simple prop to occupy my time" clearly suggests anything but love from the writer.

The One You Love, by Glenn Frey. It's not your kind of misunderstood, but it is pretty misunderstood. The sax makes it sound sexy, but there's nothing sensual about the singer's situation: "Are you gonna stay with the one you love, or are you going back to the one who loves you?" It's strange how I feel really sad when I hear this song, while my friends feel like getting it on.

There is one song that is apparently misunderstood by Sean Hannity radio talk show that makes me laugh when I hear it. They play it to invoke a Patriotic feeling in the audience.

It's "Independence Day " by Martina McBride. The song is about an abused wife committing murder suicide by burning down the house with her and her husband in it ,Hence it's "Independence day"

• Sookie

This isn't EXACTLY what you're looking for, but since it's a Night Ranger reference I'm going with it. I was always a little freaked out that "Sister Christian" was a song about how a girl should preserve her virginity...that was written by the girl's brother.

Something just doesn't seem right there...