Why do so many people think dc is in the state of washington, maryland or virginia?

Why do so many people think dc is in the state of washington, maryland or virginia

i've said im from dc before and always get the question

what state is that in ?

Im talking about US citizens

Best Answer

The answer differs between US Citizens and non-US Citizens.

For Non-US Citizens, it is not obvious that we have any place outside of our states - and they don't take a lot of US Geography outside of the country.

Update: I guess what I meant was more like - we should not expect that non-US Citizens would know US Geography. It depends, of course on the studies of the individual, and, to some extent the country of origin. Some may not know, some may.

For US Citizens, well, the sad truth is that we are not very good at geography, so many people who have never lived here just don't know.

I was a non US citizen when I first came to this country. To become a US citizen, we had to study US history and learned about 50 states. We know DC is not a state. Whoever said non US citizen don't know US history is not necessary correct. We probably know more about US history than any high school or college kids.

Lots of American can't locate all the states or the state capital if you put the map in front of them.

One because its so close to all of those states, all you have to do is cross a bridge and your either in Virginia, and Maryland, many people honestly don't know that dc is its own general territory and will assume it has to be in one of those states.

• Mike R

I grew up just outside of DC in the suburbs, I have a college degree in government and geography, and work as a government finance and management consultant so obviously it annoys me too when people think that. Not that I expect people to know as much as me on this specific subject but I think people just don't pay attention in school. It's amazing the stupid things that people believe.

Both Maryland, and Virginia and if you have a map at school or home look at Virginia or Maryland then you will see it

They obviously flunked geography in grammar school.

I was born in DC and hear the same thing alot.

Because they don't realize "Not being part of any state, Washington, D.C. operates as a city, county, and state combined."

• M T

you know those tourists from the midwest that wear the i <3 DC shirts and always come up to you and ask you where the white house/momument/museum is? theyre stupid...

People are idiots

Because people are morons.