Discuss the similarity between the movie 'Blast from the Past' and Plato's Allegory of the cave?

If anyone has read Allegory of the Cave and watched Blast from the past..... please help.. thank you

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Shahid
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I like the movie and have watched a number of times. It not only makes me laugh but also urges me to think. It makes me think about myself, about people and also about society at large. The apparent light entertaining style of the movie is purposeful but this purpose has another purpose at its core. The purpose is to peep out of the caves that we create for ourselves out of fears, and the caves our societies push us into, caves made out of stereotypes, prejudices and isolation.

In this sense the fallout shelter created by Calvin Webber - played by Christopher Walken, is not the cave, as one might like to imagine, the world outside is, with its individuals caught up in materialistic pursuits of their fast-paced, demanding, mutating and irreverent worlds. The first encounter of Adam - played by Brandon Fraser, with the outside world is to result upon forming a cult group of people caved within themselves, who would believe Adam to be the prophet of the Second-coming. Then the shopkeeper at the collectable baseball card shop, who has forgotten the sentimental values of his merchandise; and the weirdo in the bus; the people who never noticed skies above. One of the main character of the movie, Eve Rustikoff - played by Alicia Silverstone, who thinks that ‘everyone is divorced are people all living in their caves, able to see the world at large only from within the narrow confines of their self-shaped caves of perception. The only character the leaps out of all this as free and natural is that of the child in pram in the super market.

Then we see the entire social climate of a country being caved in by the political events of early sixties: the fear of a worldwide atomic holocaust is all too real in the minds of most, conservative values are beginning to give way to liberal values of what was the beginning of a hippie era of sixties, and the new inventions, including vitamin pills, television, exercise machines, tolerance towards homosexuality, would soon enable people to live in their’ caves, isolated without needing any social constant with the outside world, may be forever, or as long as they wish. All these and many other issues are admirably addressed in the Blast from the Past, which at the first sight appear only to be yet another installment of fun an entertainment.

We are all in a sort of a cave of our own inhibition, fears, phobias, prejudices and biases, where light of the world around us shines through our perception that is colored by us being ourselves. We might never be able to fully objectively what this world thing actually is. We believe in each other and assume that our perception is correct as long as it is in keeping with the approval of a world around us.

• 4 years ago

Plato is declaring that those all human beings is locked up in a cave and would purely see shadows on the wall. They then evaluate this certainty. yet while somebody escapes from the gave, they first have a complicated time see what's somewhat actual. yet at last they settle for it and pity people who're nevertheless trapped into the cave. this is a thank you to describe his theory of types.

• 1 decade ago

There's not much of a philosophical similarity as the prisoners in the cave had never seen reality. Brendan Fraser had been taught about life by his parents. The escaping prisoner had the 'real' revealed to him, he did not know it was there.

• 1 decade ago

1. They both have a preposition before the "the".

2. They both have almost 18 letters.

3. "Blast" rhymes with "past".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.