I forgot the password for Mac OS X, is there anyway I can reset the password?

I forgot the password that I used to install Mac OS X. Now I need to install Microsoft Office:mac into the computer, and the installation disk calls for Mac Os X install disk. And it prompt for password...

Can I reset the password?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Favorite Answer

I bet you'll be surprised how easy it is to change the administrator (known in Unix parlance as "root") password on a Mac OS X Tiger, Panther, etc., computer. The key to unlocking your system is the Mac OS X install disk.

If you don't have this disk, then your best bet is to buy a copy of Mac OS X, even though you already have the OS installed on your computer (you could try calling Apple (800 SOS-APPL) and asking for a replacement boot disk too). One smart way to accomplish this: look for Mac OS X on eBay. You might also ask yourself if you need to run Tiger, or whether Panther would work for you - it'd be a lot cheaper.

Once you have an install disk in hand, double click on the Install Mac OS icon and you'll get a window with a big graphic (this is one place where Apple isn't subtle!) and a restart button. Click on it, and your PowerBook will restart and go straight to the install process.

But don't install the OS again! Just click through windows far enough until you get the regular set of choices on the menu bar. One of those menus is Utilities and one of the choices on that menu is Reset Password....

I'd show this menu as a screenshot here, but can't figure out how to get a screenshot of the install process. Sorry!

Anyway, using this tool, you'll be able to change your password to something you know. Then choose Quit from the Installer menu and when your computer restarts, you'll now know the admin password.

Not too hard.

One important note here for anyone with a Mac: your admin password is only of limited security because anyone with an OS install disk can restart off their disk and reset your password without knowing your existing password. Just something to keep in mind, securitywise!

Source(s): askdavetaylor.com

I don't own a Mac anymore, but once thing that does work (if reinstalling is all you've got), install OS X to a second partition or drive and copy over your files from the old install (all your important files). Then just format the old partition and resize the new one to take up the space.

ohhh, i had a similar problem. u need to re-install the Mac OS x. yeah, dat sucks, but u can't install it witout ur password. Mac C. service can't help. I had a problem with the Master Password & i had to erase everythin & start over.

i do not know but you could try going into your accounts and setting up your password from there.

i really don't kno, but i guess u can try calling the company, or go to apple.com, i think it is. anyhow, good luck with ur computer

The procedure is described (and illustrated) here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106...

You may have to call Apple if you have lost your book.

look in 'keychain ' in your computer. If you have not locked it, you can find your password.

take this question the message boards on Apple.com!