I know alcohol kills bacteria but does it kill viruses..?

in an unused energy area??

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Viruses cannot be killed, since they are not alive.

However, they can be inactivated.

Alcohol, bleach, acids and heat can inactivate a virus.

It all depends on the virus in question.

Source(s): virologist
  • dingee
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Does Alcohol Kill Viruses

• 1 decade ago

It better - since that's what I used to clean the biohazard hood in the virology lab!

Found this at Suite101.com:

It's true that many viruses are readily inactivated by alcohol; but, some are not. Viruses consist of nucleic acid surrounded by a protein shell. Some viruses have an additional envelope. Generally, enveloped viruses are susceptible to alcohol: Herpes simplex virus (HSV), human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), influenza virus (Flu), respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), vaccinia virus, Hepatitis B and C viruses are considered susceptible to alcohols. However, there are certain non-enveloped viruses such as hepatitis A and enteroviruses, which are both responsible for viral gastrointestinal infections. Depending on the alcohol concentration of a hand-cleanser and time of exposure to the alcohol, hepatitis A and other non-enveloped viruses may not be eliminated.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I know alcohol kills bacteria but does it kill viruses..?

in an unused energy area??

Source(s): alcohol kills bacteria kill viruses: https://biturl.im/DCMz3
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Alcohol can make firm the surface of micro-organisms enough not to function like penetration into the healty cell surface of human body. So it can eventually famine such micros into being dead. Alcohol can kill microorganism having more broad surface of cell like unspored bacteria,,ameba etc. But not virus!! Virus is very tiny and lurks within host's protein or bio fluids so that not so easy to be perished with such alcohol. They are too small and easy lurking and well depending within hosts.Heat over 75 Celcius can surely kill virus including other chemical virus killing solutions. Written by Dr.Kim

• A virus in isolation will be destroyed by alcohol . Some take longer than others.

• None
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

in an unused energy area? what the heck? alcohol will kill a virus if its poured on infected blood or something, i dont know what your talking about. maybe you are trying to make a joke?

• 1 decade ago

Viruses can not be killed only removed

• 1 decade ago

Viruses are not truly a life form thus cant be killed

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. Viruses are killed by intense radiation or heat.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.