promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
J. asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

How could learning CAD technology help you in the automotive field.?

does learning CAD help you get a job in automotive and auto racing engineering?

what do you know about CAD that is related to automobiles...

I am considering a engineering CAD technology program. thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm not in automotive engineering myself, but I have been using 3D mechanical CAD for over 15 yrs.

Automotive engineering will encompass many engineering disciplines, eg Industrial Design, Mechanical, Software, Electronics, Test to name but a few.

To gain an automotive job in any of the fields you would probably need to have some level of previous experience or have graduated from a course that specializes in that field.

CAD is basically a tool that allows an engineer to generate and develop designs virtually, but before an engineer can design anything in CAD, he/she needs to have an underlying knowledge of their field, which they can use to steer their design process.

Providing you have good qualifications an employer may take you on without experience using a specific CAD package, as most automotive engineering disciplines will make use of high-end CAD packages, some of which will be bespoke to that job. Training for these types of CAD packages us usually provided by the employer. Many university courses include hands on CAD training but it may not be the soft ware that your end employer uses.

You will also find that many of these fields have a cross over

with each other, and the use of CAD packages and Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software is now allowing teams of engineers, located in numerous sites around the world, to work concurrently on design projects.

My advise would be to choose a course in the field you want to enter, that includes hands on CAD use, so you can get as much exposure to CAD as possible, whilst still learning the general sublect.

You should try and find some work experience in that feild, so you can get your foot in the door. Once in, if you can proove your willingness to learn & work, you may be offered a job. Then you can climb the ladder to the job you want, gaining experience along the way.

Here some examples of CAD packages that may be used:

Industrial Design:

ICEM surf www.icem.com

ICEM shape

Mechanical CAD:

Autocad

http://www.autodesk.com

Catia

http://www.3ds.com

PTC Pro/Engineer

PTC Pro/Mechanica

http://www.ptc.com

Electrical CAD:

Mentorgraphics Expedition

Flomerics Flotherm.

There is also a good CAD publication called MCAD which shows emerging CAD technologies, which may well be used in the automotive industry: http://www.mcadonline.com/

I just found this site which may be worth a look:

http://www.cardesignonline.com/

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

cad can be interpreted as computer aided drafting or computer aided design.

in computer aided design, the computer program like autocad can help u to draft the plan for production. my experience is that the time it takes for the computer to draw and the time to draw manually is about the same, but computer is faster in reproduce repetitive drawings and more neat.

in computer aided design, the computer program like Lisa or visualfea can help u to design the car cars-sis and machine parts. it helps to calculate the stresses and deformations of the parts. some computer program can even help u to design the air flow along the car cars-sis. the good point of the computer aided design is that u can simulate the machine without doing experiments and it bases on parameters obtained from past experiments. it can save u time and money on design. these programs can even simulate the forces and deformation on a dummy driver in the medical imaging field.

• The cutting edge of design work these days almost demands a working knowledge of Computer Aided Design. The nice thing about it is that the knowledge is easily transferred from one industry to another unlike plumbing for example. It is much faster to try out new ideas in the virtual world for "proof of concept" than to have to build prototypes from scratch each time.

• 1 decade ago

yes it does. because CAD helps engineer to draw components faster and it can simplify the method of drawing

-help engineer to built accurate reading of vehicles component

sorry, i have a lot to tell u but i actually not good in english....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well maybe I guess for engineering parts for a race product company such as Edlebrock. Im sure they have engineers for producing and improving designs for parts such as carberators. Im taking auto to work in a race shop = )...Well anyways good luck dude and maybe ill see you in racing!! phh lol kk pce -EP-

• 1 decade ago

CAD is the standard for all engeneering jobs.

• 1 decade ago

Yes it can help you as it would be of sufficient knowledge to get into the jobs such as a mechanic or technician.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.