Need help w/ 4 way lighting issue. 3 switches (on/off) driving pair of lights. See details for more info...?

I have a situation I believe described in most 4 way diagrams, however, I'm not sure my situation still applies. I have 2 switches (on/off) at the top of my stairs, & 1 switch (on/off) at the bottom of the stairs. My father in law blindly attempted to have all 3 switches drive the 2 lights on the line, but... show more I have a situation I believe described in most 4 way diagrams, however, I'm not sure my situation still applies. I have 2 switches (on/off) at the top of my stairs, & 1 switch (on/off) at the bottom of the stairs. My father in law blindly attempted to have all 3 switches drive the 2 lights on the line, but could not get it to work. Before attempting to make this work with many of the actual instructions I've seen on Bob Vila / etc, am I still going down the right path if I follow the 4 way diagram despite the location of the 3 switches?? I know they are connected in some format, but we just couldn't figure out the true connection.