Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

What is your favorite genre of books and who are some of your favorite authors in that genre?

Favorite Answer

easy...detective stories, especially the entire "color series" by John McDonald....the hero lived on a houseboat in Fr. Lauderdale, the "Busted Flush." Travis McGee was his name, the stories were a quick read, fun and rang true. He was no superhero, was always having the hell beaten out of him, but he always got the bad guy in the end, and there were no surprises thrown at you in the endings, like Agatha Christie always did....her books I found to be a pain in the rear!

I will read pretty much anything I can get my hands on, but I think I like mysteries the best. Tony Hillerman, Particia Cornwell, Katheryn Neville, Sarah Graves, Laurie R King, et al. And I love the old mysteries, Nero Wolfe, Ellery Queen, Perry Mason, Carter Dickson, etc.

Then I also love the fantasies, of course Harry Potter, Tolkein, Steven R Donaldson, Christopher Paolini (WHEN is the next Eregon going to come out?????), Patricia Wrede, Tom Robbins.

And now I have two new books to read that a friend leant me. Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon,. and bel canto, by Ann Pachett, so maybe I will have a whole new genre to like!

I like Historical novels, books by John Jakes, Hugh McLennan, Pierre Berton,James Michener, Wilbur Smith. I also like Andrew Greeley's various fictional novels about Father Blackie, the Irish Series and I love Maeve Binchy and all her books. James Patterson's the Woman's Murder Club books. Nora Roberts, Luann Rice. Books by Deepak Chopra, Marianne Williamson, Gary Zukav, Wayne Dyer. I've just finished Eat, Pray , Love. And am about to start the Earth is Flat by Thomas Friedman, the NY times columnist.

I also like polical thrillers and autobios. Anything from soup to nuts I guess.

• Jack P

Historical fiction - CS Forester [Hornblower series], George M Fraser [Flashman series], AB Guthrie

Sci-Fi - Terry Pratchett, Brian Aldiss, Jerry Pournell and wossname, the Ring World and Tales of Known Space guy. Jose Philip Farmer, Riverworld Series, Jasper Fforde - all the Tuesday Next stuff

Flying - Saint Exup, Ernest K Gann

Murder Mystery - Kinky Friedman, Ross McDonald, lots of others

Other: Balzac [Droll Stories, particularly], Kafka, Rabelais [Gargantuan and Pentagruel]

I like Umberto Eco a lot... Name of the Rose was great, Foucault Pendulum also if a person likes wheels within wheels

• I would have said Mystery/Thriller (and love James Patterson), until I looked at my bookshelf and found way too many self help books! In that genre, most of the stuff I have is Deepak Chopra and Richard Bach (yes, I consider his books self-help ~ Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah, The Bridge Across Forever, and many, many more. I have all his books.)

Reading is my favorite past time and I love reading the old novels written in the 30's to 50's.My all time favorite author has to be Conrad Richter. Then Jesse Stuart. I like a lot of the newer authors too.

Fantasy -

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever

By: Stephen R. Donaldson.

I also like books by Dr. Oz about how the body works.

(**)

John Grisham, Dean Koontz, Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson,Alex Kava, Ridley Pearson. So many books ,so little time.

• oldman

I read anything based on truth and facts but shy away from getting attached to any one author. To lean toward one or a few authors gives one a much narrower view. One only learns what their view, understanding or interpretation of things are. I have found it much more beneficial to learn from many sources and draw my own conclusions from all the information gleaned.

Tolkien

Greg Bear

Cathrine Kurtz

Frank Hurbert

And I'm not going to wrack my brain or get out of this chair to bend down and look on the shelves right now! There are more listed on my 360 page I think.... Happy New Years Hon!!!