Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 decade ago

What is the law in the US regarding the wearing of a seat belt?

I am watching Runs House and Angela and Vanessa are seen in the front seat of a red Mecedes. One of them was driving - neither was wearing a seat belt. I live in the UK and its against the law here not to wear a seat belt in a moving car - be you a passenger or driver.

• A.J.
    Best Answer

Seat belt law varies from state to state. Most states have jumped on the "Cick it or Ticket" bandwagon. A well kept secret is that our federal gov't strong armed the states into adopting seat belt/helmet laws, or they withold funding that would go to the state's infrastructure (highways, DOT budget, roads, etc). The states that didn't cave in are a little less strict when it comes to seat belts and helmets.

Me, I'll keep my seat belt clicked and my brain bucket strapped on... of my own free will.

• JetDoc

A couple of years ago the US Federal Government forced all States into passing laws requiring the use of seat belts, by threatning to take away Government funding. The individual States responded by passing their own State laws, but basically all states now require the driver and all passengers in an automobile or light truck to wear seat belts while the vehicle is in motion.

While actors in television shows and movies do not necessarilly follow the rules all the time, they are showing a bad example by not using the provided safety equipment.

Seat Belt Laws

Seat belt laws are divided into two categories: primary and secondary.

Primary seat belt laws allow law enforcement officers to ticket a driver for not wearing a seat belt, without any other traffic offense taking place.

Secondary seat belt laws state that law enforcement officers may issue a ticket for not wearing a seat belt only when there is another citable traffic infraction.

26 states, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands have primary seat belt laws.

23 states have secondary laws.

New Hampshire has enacted neither a primary nor a secondary seat belt law for adults, although the state does have a primary child passenger safety law that covers children under 18.

Specific laws vary greatly from state to state, depending on the age of the rider and in what seat he or she is sitting.

Source(s): 923

It varies from state to state a bit, but it's pretty much front seat must have a seat belt on. Back seat under 18 must have a seat belt on. Those are the minimums. I'm sure some states are more strict.

That same rule applies here. The police do stop and ticket the people in the front seat not wearing their seat belts. When making a tv show they seem to let the rules fail by the wayside.

• Yoshi

In America it varies from state to state but I think most states have some kind of seat belt law. In some, it is a secondary offense. That is, you must be stopped for another infraction before you can be cited for a violation of the seatbelt law.

All depends on the specific State.

I'm from the UK but moved to the US in April. Here in New Hampshire you do not need to wear a seatbelt (as long as you are over a certain age.....possibly 18). If you drive south to Massachusetts you have to buckle up.

in good old Massachusetts you've got to buckle up, it's the law! CLICK IT OR TICKET! Maybe that movie came out before these laws did. Or maybe the vehicle isn't actually moving. It's a good law and it's for your own protection!

Source(s): common knowledge

In the US, they have a logo "Click It (buckle up) or ticket (you get a fine." Same as the UK. Ironic law in Florida, children can rid in the bed of a pick up truck, that's ok, until an accident, horrible.

You always need to wear a seat belt. Always. In every state. It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW.

Edit: Thumbs down huh? Well I'll be seeing you on the other side of the windshield.