Cycling a 76L Tank?

According to some conversion website, 76.2 Litres is 20.13 US Gallons or 16.76 UK Gallons. (Why do you have different Gallons, omg you imperial measurement system people are crazy :P). Anyway, I'm planning to cycle the tank for about 4 weeks then add fish slowly at about 2 fish/week until it's stocked.... show more According to some conversion website, 76.2 Litres is 20.13 US Gallons or 16.76 UK Gallons. (Why do you have different Gallons, omg you imperial measurement system people are crazy :P).

Anyway, I'm planning to cycle the tank for about 4 weeks then add fish slowly at about 2 fish/week until it's stocked. I've currently got the cover open - is this necessary? I heard it helps in the evaporation of chlorine from the water, although I have already treated the water with a de chlorinating chemical. Also, do you need a surge protector for aquarium electronics, or will a normal power board suffice?