Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 1 decade ago

Help with bare minerals?

Well first off I have fair, pale skin and a bit of acne. I recently started using the original bare escentials. It works better then most foundations because it does not cause more blemishes but it's making me look chalky and oily. I've been having really dry skin lately but when I use the product my skin about 5 min. later gets oily and caked on around the nose and mouth area. I swirl, tap, and buff 2 to 3 times for full coverage. This has not really happened in the begining when I first started using the product but is getting annoying now. I feel self cautious and wanted to know if any body knew how to achieve a flawless glow and not have people notice i'm trying to hide imperfections. All help is appreciated. Thanks:D

Favorite Answer

I read about this problem on the makeup discussion groups and the answer is the same. Use a foundation primer BEFORE you use the bare minerals.

A good makeup foundation primer has dimethicone which is a sealer that will create a breathable barrier between your skin's oils and the bare minerals. Your bare minerals will glide on and look fresh all day. First apply your moisturizer to your clean dry face, follow with the primer/sealer, let dry for a minute or two and then use the bare minerals.

Now when I tell you the which primer they recommend you're going to think that I've lost my mind because it's not actually a primer. It's a product with the same ingredients as a primer but marketed for another use, so sit down and take a deep breath before you read on. The foundation primer those of us in "in the know" use is...Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel. (Once you start breathing again read on...)

This product is part of Monistat's lesser known Soothing Care skin care line, so it's not one of their medically-oriented products. What is it, is loaded with dimethicone which is the key ingredient in really expensive makeup foundation/sealer/primers.

The reason you are going to love it is because it will completely stop the cakiness and it won't clog your pores. Furthermore, because you now have a sealer between your skin and your bare minerals, the bare minerals will give you much better coverage.

One of the places I read about this was acne.org and the folks there said that it didn't aggravate their skin.

Monostat Chafing Powder Gel costs about $6.75 for a tube that is 1.5 ounces. If you use it just about everyday a tube will last 2-4 weeks.

Here's a review of the monistat powder-gel that also explains why and how it works.

http://review-monistat-face-primer.uncensoredguide...

It sounds like you may be using too much product. Try buffing longer and using less layers. You may not need to use it 3 times to achieve the look you want. I know when I started using Bare Minerals I used way too much. I looked chalky and cakey. Make sure that any moisturizer you apply before is absorbed into your skin. Another tip is to use the concealer brush and go over those trouble spots before the foundation, just enough to cover them, then when you apply the foundation it'll all buff together. Did you get a starter kit with the DVD? If so watch it, they show you how to cover issues and get the flawless look.

Most of all don't give up, it took me a good 2 weeks before I really got the hang of applying it. I was used to seeing my makeup.

Good luck!!

Source(s): Been wearing Bare Minerals for 4 1/2 years.

use RAW minerals sooooooooooooo much better than bare minerals

Maybe you should try using a oil free, hypo-allergenic, and "wont't clog pores" moisturizer (let it completely dry) then apply the bare minerals. Then apply less around your mouth and nose so it wont become caked on.

Hope it helps.

maybe you are using the wrong moisturiser

I had the same problem when I began using bare minerals. My advice is to purchase Proactiv's Daily Oil Control to put on before you put on your foundation. Let it dry (which is usually quick) and than apply one even coat of powder on top. Your skin adjusts to what you place on it. If you naturally had dry skin it may be best to purchase a liquid or mouse foundation. But bare minerals is great so I would stick with the new lotion.

Maybe you should use a good foundation and then use a BIT of the bare minerals on top so it looks smooth.