Can royalty-free music be copyrighted?

I'm producing an album to be made available for sales and I need to know whether I have to ask permission to copyright royalty-free music from a software program or whether I can copyright it at all.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

sure it can

• 3 years ago

maximum, yet no longer all, royalty unfastened song is decrease than copyright. you have a license for particular makes use of, examine the training with soundtrack professional to work out in the journey that your venture is acceptable use. composers of royalty unfastened song are normally individuals of ASCAP or BMI, which will call for a performace cost if there's a public show as area of the competition. This cost is made via the venue so as with the aid of fact of this they are inquiring for no copyrighted song.

• Tim D
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No, you cannot claim copyright on somebody else's work. If you have created the music with a software program you should be able to copyright that.

However, this really is not the best place to ask, contact an IP (intellectual property) lawyer for advice.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You have to determine if you are using just segments, quotes, or samples. If you are, then you have some fair use rights and can copyright your own work that incorporates them even without their permission. If you are lifting the entire thing, then it is not your unique work and if you were to copyright that you would be unable to defend your copyright. Music that is in the public domain cannot be copyrighted. In Mexico, traditional and folk songs are now not possible to copyright and are considered "el patrimonio artistico de la nación" of Mexico.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

you would have to read the rules by the company you got the music from, becuse it is different for every company

if you are just using the royalty-free music in your project, you will probably be able to do it

if you plan on selling the royalty-free music by itself you probably cant do that

• 1 decade ago

Sure can! That's why you are paying a ridiculously high fee for it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.