Why dp people keep saying 37 weeks is 'full term'?

You know what a full term pregnancy is? *gasp* 40 weeks! Seriously though, when I was pregnant with my first they said 38 weeks was full term. A few years before that, 39 weeks was considered full term. Why do they keep changing this? And why do pregnant women continue to listen? Downing caster oil as... show more You know what a full term pregnancy is? *gasp* 40 weeks!

Seriously though, when I was pregnant with my first they said 38 weeks was full term. A few years before that, 39 weeks was considered full term.

Why do they keep changing this? And why do pregnant women continue to listen? Downing caster oil as soon as they hit 37 weeks ... "well im 37 weeks, im full term!".

Are doctors just trying to keep their patients on a tight schedule? 39 weeks is understandable, but 37? thats risking pre-mature lung development!
Update: Waiting on baby - can you read? when i was pregnant with my first 38 weeks was considered full term .... that means ... every baby born before then was considered pre-mature.

My question ..... obviously to the hormonal, impatient ones out there ..... why are doctors changing this?
16 answers 16