Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

Diff between Grand Marnier and Cointreau?

Can they be used interchangeably? Do they taste similar?

Best Answer

In general, the taste is similar but Grand Marnier is more complex and more expensive. I suspect that you could interchange them in some recipes; try it and see.

In all honest, just price. Cointreau would be a call, and Grand Marnier would be top shelf. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Never tried Cointreau, but Grand Mariner taste great.

They are both orange flavoured, different brands. I think most people prefer Grand Marnier (that I know). I guess it depends what you're mixing it with.

Besides price cointreau does have a bit of a sharper alcohol flavor to it so therefore Grand Marnier is smoother. The question is what drink are you making. For example if you are making a Margeurita, Cointreau is fine even with a high end tequila. However for a Cosmo Grand Marnier is a must because vodka is a much more delicate flavored spirit. So consider your intended use and have fun drinking whichever you choose.

Source(s): Personal Experience as a Bartender.
  • wapiou

the taste. they are both good but Grand Marnier is a bit smoother. try and taste chocolates filled with grand marnier. it is fabulous!

grand marnier is smoother