Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 decade ago

Do you eat black eyed peas, cornbread, chitlins, and cabbage on New Years Eve?

for good luck? does it work?

Best Answer

black eyed peas maybe

cornbread not really thats sort of thanksgiving

chitlins maybe

cabbage no

the luck doesn't work but for really superstitious people, they believe it does bring good luck

Since I like beans anyway, Blackeye peas with hamhocks and cornbread. Don't care much for chitlin's except fried. Only I eat the peas on New Years day. The cabbage is for St. Pat's.

"red-eye" black-eyed peas, greens, and cornbread.

Corned beef.

No chitlins or cabbage in my house.

I've had some really, really good luck over the years.

We'll be having Hoppin' John tomorrow. I discovered the tradition 3 years ago. And if it's good luck, it's working. 3 years and still happily married! And it's a fun tradition. Maybe I will make cornbread tomorrow.

No. I didn't know that any food was lucky, or even unlucky (apart from poisonous stuff, obviously), and when to eat or not eat it/them.

May not work but it sure does taste good. No, this year it will be lentels and stuffed trotter, smoked salmon, cake and prosecco.

PS have you ever heard 'em called "blackassed" peas?

Yep....Southern raised....dating a Yankee......Best of both world except what we do is add very spicy peppered vinegar on ours.....Make for a Hot-Damn New Year!!!

• ?

No, nor on any other day.

Hoppin John. I have my own recipe. Luck I don't know, but it can't hurt.

• Val K

I am Australian who lived in Savannah for quite a while and grew to love the foods you mentioned, however I cannot get black eyed peas, chitlins here so I wish you all the luck on New Year's Eve which is today here

Enjoy and all the best for 2008