The toilet and shower in the main bathroom are draining slow. Can I use canned compressed air to clean trap.?

I was at Home Depot one day, in the plumbing section, and saw the canned air. Store worker told me it might work, but I would need to cover up the overflows, so as to not lose the air.

Has anybody used this compressed air technique?

Also, today is SUNDAY, and you know what that means 'rate wise'!. Suggestions on how to get by until tomorrow?

Thanx,

Dick

Clarification. By 'rate wise' I mean week end fee schedule. Xpensive. Poor me right? Probably soon to be!

Favorite Answer

I wouldn't...

If both the shower and toilet are slow ... then the compressed air down the shower ... will come up in the toilet.

it sounds like the obsturction is beyond the traps, and in the line somewhere before it hits the main. MAYBE a liquid drain cleaner ...but best result would be a snake. Either at the vent ... or thru the shower or commode.

I would not waste the money. Your main line is definitely the problem.

If you are in a newer house (80’s to present) you should have cleanouts to inspect outside. There should be one by the curb/street. If this one is full, try calling your local Authority to see if they take of it for free. There should also be another just outside the foundation of your house. If this one is full and the curb one is dry ( you’ll need to have the line snaked) If this one is dry and your toilet backs up into the tub, the problem is inside. Try pushing your garden hose with a brass jet nozzle up towards the house. Push it in as far as you can and try flushing it out with water.

If you are in an older house 40’s or older you should have a house trap in the basement or crawl. Only open the street side one real slow. If water starts going, you’ll need to have the line snaked. If it is dry try pushing a few wire coat hangs twisted together and free the blockage from the house trap ( it is the big u on the sewer line)

House’s from the 60’s and 70’s are hit and miss on cleanouts. It is not uncommon to have to pull the toilet to snake the line on a bi-level. Or you have to dig it up outside which makes the job more expensive.

Only other thought if you have a septic tank – is it full? The two main reasons the main gets blocked are grease build up inside the house or roots on the outside.

Yes Holiday and Sunday rates usually the same are like 20 to 30 bucks more then weekdays. Best of luck

I USE A TOOL SIMILIAR FOR BATHTUBS AND LAVATORIES ONLY BUT ONLY WHEN A ROTO ROOTER DOESN'T WORK OR IF I FEEL THE STOPPAGE IS MINOR. AIR WONT BRING BACK HAIR OR A TOWEL AS A CABLE WOULD. ALSO I PUMP UP TO ABOUT 35 - 40 LBS. YOUR'E TAKING A CHANCE WITH THE ONE AT HOME DEPOT ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU CANT SHOOT IT REPEATEDLY. I SHOOT MINE NO MORE THAN ABOUT 4 TIMES AND IF 40 LBS DONT UNCLOGG IT I QUIT.

NOW IF YOUR TOILET ISN'T FLUSHING PROPERLY YOU MAY NEED TO TROUBLE SHOOT IT (FIND OUT IF YOUR PROBLEM IS IN THE TOILET) OR IF YOUR PROBLEM IS FURTHER DOWN THE LINE. A 3' COMMODE AUGER IS A GOOD PURCHASE AND U WILL GET YOUR MONEYS WORTH IF NOT NOW THEN LATER. IF A COMMODE AUGER DOESN'T HELP THE TOILET THEN YOU MAY NEED A PLUMBER OR RENT A SEWER MACHINE AND RUN THROUGH YOUR MAIN LINE. ONCE U GET THE MAIN LINE WORKING THEN DO THE SHOWER IF ITS STILL CLOGGED.

• sailor

pass to the ironmongery store and purchase a drain strainer, this might keep all that stuff (hair and so on.) from taking place the drain, that's the biggest majority of your situation. combination in a 2 quart (0.5 gallon) field one million cup table salt, one million cup baking soda (arm & hammer style) and 3/4 cup of vinegar, stir till dissolved, it extremely is going to bubble like loopy, pour down the drain the place the status water is at, wait 20 minutes and pour a gallon of very heat water down the drain. this might desire to open it up, yet whilst it continues to be sluggish attempt repeating the proceedure. i comprehend it works, I particularly have used this on my tub tub, kitchen sink and washer drain. My cleansing recurring is the comparable as yours. stable success with the clogged drain!

Compressed air works well on small local clogs; your problem is deeper, usually the toilet must be pulled and the line snaked. diy is impractical, since by the time you rent a machine, and don't get results your in deeper. call drain companies and get estimates before work starts.

Source(s): plumber

if you live in an older house i wouldnt use it. it might blow up old pipes. drano make a professional grade works pretty well. or get a snake form home depot or something like that

I wouldn't try it. I think a big water fountain in the toilet would be created....not pretty.

I also don't understand your "rate wise" statement? What???