Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Packing & Preparation · 1 decade ago

Can a minor have tobacco in his luggage when traveling to the USA?

Hi,

I am about to travel to the States to visit a few relatives there and my parents wanted to send a special brand of tobacco and maybe a few cigars with me as a gift for my uncle but I am a minor so we wanted to know would I get into trouble if I'd arrive with a few tobacco products under the allowed limit of course in my luggage (not hand baggage) to USA?

Favorite Answer

If You Have It When Entering The States You'll Get Busted. They Might Be Relaxed About It But Most Likely Not. There Is An Embargo On Cuban Tobacco And Cigars So Even If You're From Nowhere Near Cuba They Might Confiscate It Or Fine You. Best To Ask U.S. Customs Services.

"Wikipeida Post"

United States of America

Each state and many localities have different smoking laws. Most laws restrict possession, use and purchase to persons 18 and over to remain eligible for federal grants. No retailer may sell cigarettes or smokeless tobacco to any person younger than 18 years of age. When a customer appears to be under a specific age, state and local laws require retailers to verify age by means of photographic identification. In addition, the tobacco purchase age has been raised to 19 in Alabama, Alaska, New Jersey, Utah, and Nassau, Suffolk, and Onondaga counties in New York.

"U.S. Customs Article"

Prohibitions on Cuban Cigars

The revival of interest in cigars and cigar smoking underscores the need to remind the public of the prohibitions that have been in place for many years with respect to cigars of Cuban origin. The number of attempted importations of Cuban cigars into the United States is rising and because dealing in such cigars may lead to Treasury enforcement actions, the public should be aware of — and make every effort to observe — the prohibitions which are in effect.

There is a total ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. Traveler, including purchases at duty-free shops. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, United Kingdom, or Mexico.

Importation of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products is prohibited whether the goods are purchased by the importer or given to the importer as a gift. Similarly, the import ban extends to Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products offered for sale over the Internet or through a catalog.

It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the cigars, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and/or imprisonment.

These prohibitions are applicable to all goods of Cuban origin and are an important element of the comprehensive program of economic sanctions against the Cuban Government which have been in place since 1963. Those sanctions have had the support of the last seven Administrations.

The U.S. Treasury Department, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), administers the embargo of Cuba. Suspected embargo violations may be reported telephonically to OFAC Enforcement Division at (202) 622-2430 or via facsimile at (202) 622-1657.

I dont think so. Unless your parent puts a signed notice on it then it'll be removed. Its called Possesion. I think somewhere in the airport it says that any minor in the possesion of tobacco products will be detained and the product confiscated. My mom works at an airport. I know all the rules.

You are probably better off NOT chancing it, just send the box by mail a few days before you leave on your trip and then when you arrive in the states, so will your box for your uncle.

in the usa, it is illegal for a minor to be in possession of tobacco products, even if you're holding it for someone else. it would be best for your parents to ship it if they can. if you do decide to take it, you might not get caught or you might get a nice guard who would understand your situation, but it's still risky. if you take it and get caught with it and you don't have an understanding officer, they will take it away and give you a fine which will be more expensive than shipping it.

Source(s): personal experience (my cousin)

Tobacco is a controlled substance. You can get busted by customs even if you were an adult. The airport personnel are pretty paranoid post 9/11, I wouldn't try it. You're better off trying to mail it. That way if it gets stopped by customs you aren't liable.

Nope, sorry. You will have to put the cigars in condoms, lube them up and insert them into your anus in order to bring them into the sountry as a minor. As for the tobacco, stuff it into condoms and swallow them. Then, when you get to your relatives' place, drink about a quart of vegetable oil and your items should pass smoothely...

**disclaimer**

Of course, this is illegal and known as smuggling and I will be obligated to report you to the authorities--what time does your flight land?

Source(s): Reverend!!!

Well im not sure but to be on the safe side just declare this kind of stuff or talk about it with airport officials and the recipient about this before you do anything that could land you in hot soup.

i'm not too sure, you'll have a hard time getting past Customs with that. better off mailing it. They've really beefed up on security after 9/11. I doubt it unless maybe your counrty allows minors to smoke.

uh yeah have u ever been to a us airport um they have police and dogs vicious dogs and only adults can have cigarettes not on the plan though no dont have ur rents send it fedex or something

No. Minors can't purchase/carry tabacco products in the US.