is it ok to eat spicy food like salsa and other spicy foods while pregnant?

Its the only thing that I am really craving, I am 22 weeks. WHen I eat it it gives me heartburn but it goes away after I take some tums, but what I want to know is will spicy food hurt the baby? Serious answers only please

its a boy!

• acia
    Best Answer

Yeah as long as it doesn't give u hearburn, u said it does, well if u're ok with it then why not. Other cultures eat very spicy foods and their babies are born just fine. It won't hurt the baby, don't worry, as long as u can manage ur heartburn it's fine.

I was the same with my son.. I ate salsa and a number of other spicy things and other then the heatr burn every thing was fine.. I also found this to put your mind at eaze

Answer from Dr. Larry L. Veltman, medical director of obstetrics and gynecology at Providence St. Vincent Medical Center: I am not aware of any scientific information that indicates spicy foods are a problem with pregnancy. You may experience a little more indigestion in pregnancy and spicy foods could exaggerate that, so for that reason you may want to eat mild foods. However, I know of no harm to the fetus from spicy foods

I ate spicy foods throughout my entire pregnancy and had no problem with heartburn or anything. A few people randomly said to me " You are pregnant! You should not be eating spicy food!" I always replied: "Why not?" I asked a Jamaican friend if women in the Caribbean stopped eating spicy during their pregnancies and she laughed like crazy! She said "Why would anyone do that???"

I am 37 weeks pregnant and have eaten spicy food the whole way through this pregnancy! I can't eat it as much now because it gives me heartburn, so as long as you can handle it go ahead and eat it!

Eat what you feel you must eat when pregnant

When you desire spicy food then by all means eat it !!

Thats the baby wanting to eat it

It won't do anything as far as I know, my sister is pregnant and she eats spicy foods when she desires

Good luck with the baby

Source(s): Pregnant sister

My friend ate spicy food all through her pregnancy...I don't think it would hurt to eat salsa. It's nutritious too - better to have organic or home made rather than packaged with all the extras.

No, spicy food won't hurt the baby......just you with the heartburn!!! haha

They say if you crave spicy food your having a boy.....do you know what your having???

Congrats!!

• Yes you can eat spicey foods. With my first pregnancy everytime I would eat nachos with jalapenos (at the movies) my son would start flipping and acting wild!! I never had problems with heartburn though.

Of course, eat it while nursing too, and when you start him on solids he will take the same likeing to it as you have. I ate tons of garlic and onions through pregnancy and nursing, (yes an odd craving to want raw onions and garlic), ironically now my son 18 months will chew on and swallow garlic, peppers, celery, and onions. And the doctors said it would cause colic. HA, i got one healthy boy.

A lot of spicy food is very healthy with a lot of vitamins and antioxidants, good for you.